To purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD OnlineBuy series
Dwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
• #1—“Two are better than one” because you have someone to share the . (Financial benefit)
- “Research has shown the financial benefits of marriage. Long-term marriage offers a 77% better rate of return than staying single and total wealth of married persons increases 16% year over year. In other words, the you are married, the more money you make. . . . [I]f this was the reported returns on a stock growth fund, we’d all be jumping in.” (www.moneyunder30.com/financial-benefits-of-marriage)
• #2—“Two are better than one” because you have someone to help you . (Emotional benefit)
• #3—“Two are better than one” because you have someone to keep you . (Physical benefit)
• #4—“Two are better than one” because you have someone to help you . (Security benefit)
» A great love story most have never heard . . .
- C. S. Lewis: “We feasted on love; every mode of it, solemn and merry, romantic and realistic, sometimes as dramatic as a thunderstorm, sometimes comfortable and unemphatic as putting on your soft slippers. She was my pupil and my teacher, my subject and my sovereign, my trusty comrade, friend, shipmate, fellow-soldier. My mistress, but at the same time all that any man friend has ever been to me.” (Quoted in Saving Your Marriage Before It Starts 142)
- Les and Leslie Parrott: “If there is a lesson to be gained from this amazing love story, it must be that partners without a spiritual depth of oneness can never compete with the fullness of love that enjoy. Marriage, when it is healthy, has a mystical way of revealing God; a way of bringing a smiling peace to our restless hearts.” (142)
» The third strand
• Jeremiah 9:24—“Let the one who boasts boast about this: that they have the understanding to know [yada] me, that I am the LORD.”
• Genesis 4:1—“Adam made love [yada] to his wife Eve, and she became pregnant.”
• God takes the same word for “making love” [yada] and declares “That’s what I want in a relationship with you—the between a husband and a wife—I want you to know me like Adam knew Eve.”
• Alan McGinnis: “There can be no intimacy without .” (The Friendship Factor 105)
• Alice Fryling: “[Sex] is an expression of intimacy, not the to intimacy. True intimacy springs from verbal and emotional communion. True intimacy is built on a commitment to honesty, love and freedom. True intimacy is not primarily a sexual encounter. Intimacy, in fact, has almost nothing to do with our organs. A prostitute may expose her body, but her relationships are hardly intimate.” (www.focusonthefamily.com/faith/three-lies-about-premarital-sex/)
• Don’t miss Adventist Engaged Encounter with Jeff/Twyla Smith (Nov 1-3).
• Ecclesiastes 4:12—“A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.”
- The Third Strand—Proverbs 18:24/John 15:13-14
- #1 Felt Need—How to grow a relationship with God
Four vital elements of the early church’s growth are still very much in season: teaching, fellowship, prayer and sharing meals (see Acts 2:42). They were Love on the Move “in the beginning”—and they still capture our mission of Love on the Move today.
The good news is after a long pandemic hiatus, these four vital activities resume for the adult Sabbath School program and classes at Pioneer—Sabbath, November 6, 2021, 10:30 AM in the Sanctuary.
Whether you once belonged to one of the Bible study classes or you would like to be part of a new class, you’re invited to join Melchizedek Ponniah and his team of leaders and teachers in a new season of mid-morning study and fellowship.
If you were one of the regular pre-pandemic adult class teachers and are interested in leading a study group again or if you are new and interested in assisting or leading a new Bible class, please contact Melchi Ponniah (email@example.com) or Heidi Ha at the church office (269-471-3133).
Love on the Move may yet be masked—but it will not be stopped. Invite a friend to join you in a new beginning November 6.
Offering for October 23, 2021
Michigan Advance Partners — McMillan Church
In early 2020 the McMillan Northwoods church began considering how they might reach into the community and also have a way to draw the community in. They wanted to begin having a bigger footprint in their district.
As the world began to shut down due to the worldwide COVID-19 pandemic, the desire to have a stronger digital presence and the need for equipment to present, prepare and distribute digital media became stronger. The only thing standing in the way was a severe shortage of funds. Times had been hard, and special appeals had been made to help get the church back on a good financial footing.
Many were the projects that needed attention. With work needed on the roof, the need for a ramp, and the changes taking place in the world, was this what the Lord wanted them to do? Prayer and several meetings later, the consensus came that if the Lord would provide the way, the church would move forward.
A request was made and MAP was able to be the answer to their prayer. Now the church has internet access, a streaming computer and has participated in both Hope Awakens and Revelation NOW! Members have been blessed, the worship experience enhanced, and the online videos and DVDs they are sharing with their friends and neighbors are helping the Gospel look even more attractive.
Several connections have been made in the community and Bible Studies have been initiated.
This is the mission of MAP, giving opportunity for every member to be able to help expand the reach of the gospel thru local projects. Whether it is maintaining the current facilities or current projects, or beginning something new, your gift to MAP is going to help keep the Gospel fresh and relevant and take it to the world. Thank you for your support, as Michigan continues to Advance through Partnering together to spread the gospel until Jesus comes.
—North American Division Stewardship Ministries
Jean Drive: Give Your Jeans a Second Life By Giving Them to a Woman In Need
Pioneer Memorial Church and the Center for Faith Engagement are partnering with Paris' Purse to sponsor a jean drive. On November 6, during either church service, you're invited to bring in a pair of jeans. Your jeans will be given a second life by helping a woman in need. They can be jeans for men or women. We'll have donation bins by the entrance awning, the welcome center in the children's wing, and the narthex. If you forget to bring in jeans on that day, you can also bring them to the Center for Faith Engagement. You can also give a financial donation to Paris' Purse (501c3) at www.parispurseinc.com
Memorial Service for Dr. Steven Tarangle
A memorial service for Dr. Steven Tarangle will be held in the Sanctuary on October 30, 2021, 3:00–5:00 PM
PAUSE: Prayer, Remembrance, and Healing for our AU Family
AU Wind Symphony Fall Concert
The AU Wind Symphony presents its fall concert, "Hands Across the Sea" on Saturday, October 23rd, at 8:00 PM in the Howard Performing Arts Center. The international theme of this program includes the titular march emphasizing the friendship of nations, as well as music from Russian, Scotland, Armenia, Norway, the Andean region of South America, Japan, Korea, and even the planet Jupiter. You won’t want to miss this concert as the Wind Symphony performs its first full concert of the 2021-2022 season. Audience members in attendance will be required to wear a mask, but there are no limits on seating capacity, so please join us in-person to experience live music once again!
The Darkness Will Not Overcome Series Archives
The Darkness Will Not Overcome series archives are now available at pmchurch.org/overcome. Videos and podcasts are now available on your favorite podcast provider. Start sharing today!
–Pioneer Media Department
Helping Neighbor to Neighbor
Did you know that Neighbor to Neighbor provides clothing, furniture, food, supplies for infants, counseling services, and so much more to people in need across Michiana? That's why we're excited to invite you to be a part of a very special project. On Sunday, October 24, a group of volunteers led by contractors and experienced roofers are going to put new shingles on the original Neighbor 2 Neighbor building and we invite you be a part of this. For more information and to register, text N2N to 269-281-2345. We’ll see you there.
Vacancy - Thrift Store Associate
Neighbor To Neighbor is looking for a Thrift Store Assistant. If you are interested please submit a resume to Laura Meyer at firstname.lastname@example.org
Howard Series Presents: Chi Yong Yun
Pianist Chi Yong Yun is an exceptional artist whose stellar abilities as a performer are recognized internationally and to critical acclaim. Whether as a soloist, collaborative musician, or master teacher, her skills as a pianist are exquisite. Listening to a concert performed by Chi Yong Yun is an experience not to be missed. Go to http://howard.andrews.edu for ticket prices.