To purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD OnlineBuy series
Dwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
• Brigham Young University studied 2035 married people:
- Better .
- Better .
- Better .
- Better .
• Mike Mason: “Is there any other activity at all which an adult man and woman may engage in together (apart from worship) that is actually more childlike, more clean and pure, more natural and wholesome and unequivocally right than is the act of love making? . . . Surely is the deepest communion that is possible between human beings.” (The Mystery of Marriage: As Iron Sharpens Iron 121)
• JESUS&SEX #2—We have it.
- Matthew 5:27-28
• How the enemy deceives us into denting this gift?
- Pornographic sex is sex marriage—sex usually with yourself.
- Premarital sex is sex marriage—sex with someone else.
- Extramarital sex is sex of marriage—sex with someone who isn’t your spouse.
• Lust simply defined means—”I gotta have it .”
• The Rooster and the “Coolidge Effect”
• Jennifer Schwirtzer: “The point of this story is that sexuality, especially male sexuality, tends to be novelty-driven. Male rats will copulate, then tire and stop sexual activity until scientists drop a new female rat into the cage, when suddenly the male feels his mojo return. He will continue to copulate with each partner until he literally dies of exhaustion. Clearly, this novelty-driven sexuality moves in the opposite direction from God’s plan of long-term faithfulness to one partner.” (13 Weeks to Love 63)
• A proverb: “Why buy the cow, if you can get the milk for ?”
• “Just the right amount of wrong.”
• Proverbs 6:25, 27, 32—”Do not lust in your heart after her [his] beauty or let her [him] captivate you with her [his] eyes. . . . Can a man scoop fire into his lap without his clothes being burned? . . . But a man who commits adultery has no sense; whoever does so destroys himself.”
“I Then Shall Live”
I then shall live as one who’s been forgiven.
I’ll walk with joy to know my debts are paid.
I know my name is clear before my Father;
I am His child and I am not afraid.
So, greatly pardoned, I’ll forgive my brother;
The law of love I gladly will obey.
I then shall live as one who’s learned compassion.
I’ve been so loved, that I’ll risk loving too.
I know how fear builds walls instead of bridges;
I’ll dare to see another’s point of view.
And when relationships demand commitment,
Then I’ll be there to care and follow through.
Your Kingdom come around and through and in me;
Your power and glory, let them shine through me.
Your Hallowed Name, O may I bear with honor,
And may Your living Kingdom come in me.
The Bread of Life, O may I share with honor,
And may You feed a hungry world through me.
—David Phelps/Gloria Gaither
Jukebox Saturday Night
Jukebox Saturday Night celebrates music of the great Big Bands during the 1930’s, 40’s and 50’s. An energetic group of instrumentalists and vocalists will keep you moving in your seats, tapping your toes, and clapping your hands. A fun filled event for all ages recreating memories for anyone who has ever experienced the fine arrangements of big band music, and creating new exciting memories for anyone who is now enjoying it for the first time. Go to http://howard.andrews.edu for ticket prices.
No Heat in Pioneer Memorial Church
Due to a faulty heat exchanger and the lack of heat in the Pioneer Sanctuary, we encourage you to dress accordingly for Sabbath worship or other programs there. We apologize for the inconvenience.
–Pioneer Memorial Church
Resuming Seminary Sabbath School Class
The Seminary Sabbath School class that is taught by Jacques Doukhan, Denis Fortin, Ante Jeroncic, Jiri Moskala, and Ranko Stefanovic is back. If interested, we will be glad to see you in the same place: Seminary classroom N150 (the largest one in the basement). We appreciate your help in spreading this information to other class members.
Center for Adventist Research Administrative Assistant Opening
The Center for Adventist Research at Andrews University is an important ministry for our church that is responsible for preserving and promoting the heritage of the Seventh-day Adventist Church. If you are seeking full-time employment with benefits to serve the church and would like to support our ministry as our administrative assistant, please apply at https://www.andrews.edu/admres/jobs/show/staff_hourly#job_8
Upload Your Favorite Photos!
Help us to complete the Pioneer Memorial Church Directory. Upload your favorite personal and family photos directly to the church database! Look out for the link and the instructions coming soon to your mailbox.
Women's Ministries Sabbath Delight Weekend
Pioneer Women's Ministries is hosting a ladies' Sabbath Delight Weekend with guest speakers Jo Ann Davidson and Yolande Robertson. We will be sharing some practical ideas on how we can celebrate the Sabbath using all five senses, especially as we open and close the Sabbath. You are invited to explore with us how to celebrate using all the senses in delighting in this wonderful gift from God, and experience the rest and healing God is promising to us.
Friday check-in begins at 6:00 PM with the meeting following after. Programming resumes 3:00 - 8:00 PM on Saturday. For gluten-free options email firstname.lastname@example.org. Registration is required. Text DELIGHT to (269) 281-2345 or register online before October 20.
October 29-30, 2021
Andrews University Seminary Chapel
Pioneer's new Collegiate Sabbath School meets in the Pioneer Commons! This is a place for interactive connections with Collegiates and with God, to study the stories of Jesus and what they mean for us today. Breakfast snacks will be provided.
Weekly on Sabbath, 10:30 AM
Location: Pioneer Commons
Pioneer Safety Update
Pioneer cares about the health of our community and our congregation. We monitor the spread of COVID-19, especially the delta variant, closely. Berrien County's level of transmission is now High, as classified by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
In alignment with Andrews University (AU), masks are now required indoors at Pioneer, regardless of vaccination status (AU guidelines).
wear a mask indoors
practice physical distancing
practice good hand hygiene
If you feel unwell at all, even with symptoms of a cold or flu, please do join our online worship at https://www.pmchurch.org.
We pray for God's continued protection to keep our church community safe and healthy,
—Pioneer Safety Committee
Join Timeless Tours next March 16-27, 2022 for an unforgettable tour to ancient Egypt. Two experienced biblical archaeologists will be your guides. For more information contact Timeless Tours through Stefanie Elkins at email@example.com. You can also learn more about the tour, find application forms, payments, itineraries and more via our website; www.digtheadventure.com.
Sabbath Afternoon Prayer Walk
Join us for our Sabbath afternoon prayer walk on campus! We meet at the stairs behind the statue, and it starts at 5:00 PM and ends by 6:00 PM. We would love to have you join us. If that day/time does not work for you, there are other days that people are
prayer walking, as well. Questions? Contact: Ildiko at firstname.lastname@example.org; Andrew at email@example.com; or Andrea at firstname.lastname@example.org.