To purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD OnlineBuy series
Dwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
“Here I am! I stand at the door and knock”
»Invitation #1—Jesus’ invitation.
• Ralph Carmichael: “The Savior is waiting to enter your heart—why don’t you let Him come in? There’s nothing in this world to keep you apart—what is your answer to Him?”
• Proverbs 23:26—”My child, give Me your .”
• John 14:23—”‘Anyone who loves Me will obey My teaching. My Father will love them, and We will come to them and make Our with them.’”
• John 14:17—”‘The Spirit of Truth with you and will be in you.’”
• Ellen White: “That heart is the happiest that has Christ as an abiding . . . . Let us acknowledge Him as our Friend and Saviour.” (My Life Today 157)
»Invitation #2—Jesus’ invitation.
• Mark 13:26, 29 NASB: “‘Then they will see the Son of Man coming in the clouds with great power and glory. . . . Even so, you too, when you see these things happening, recognize that He is near, right at the .’”
• Revelation 22:12, 20: “‘Look! I am coming !’ . . . He who testifies to these things says, ‘Yes, I am coming ‘“
• 1 Thessalonians 5:2-3): “For you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. While people are saying, ‘Peace and safety,’ destruction will come on them , as labor pains on a pregnant woman, and they will not [GK: no not] escape.”
• Ellen White: “At this time the Laodicean message is to be given, to arouse a slumbering church. Let the thought of the of time stimulate you to earnest, untiring effort. Remember that Satan has come down with great power, to work with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish.” (Selected Messages 1:196)
»Invitation #3—Jesus’ invitation.
• Jesus isn’t even the church—He’s standing on the !
• Ellen White: “The Holy Spirit waits to soften and subdue hearts; but they are not willing to open the door and let the Saviour in, for fear that He will require something of them. And so Jesus of Nazareth passes by. He longs to bestow on them the rich blessings of His grace, but they refuse to accept them. What a terrible thing it is to exclude Christ from His own temple! What a to the church!” (Testimonies to the Church 6:262)
• Song of Solomon: “[She speaks] I slept but my heart was awake. Listen! My lover is knocking: ‘[He speaks] Open to me, my sister, my darling, my dove, my flawless one. My head is drenched with dew, my hair with the dampness of the night.’ [She] I have taken off my robe—must I put it on again? I have washed my feet—must I soil them again? My lover thrust his hand through the latch-opening; my heart began to pound for him. I arose to open for my lover . . .” (Song of Solomon 5:2-5).
• Sigve Tonstad: “. . . to this thoroughly unlikeable community, Jesus propositions a privilege so amazing that I don’t dare repeat it (3:20-21).”
"Come in, Jesus"
Anthony Brown and Group TherAPy concert
Anthony Brown is a creative force in music with unparalleled talent as a songwriter, vocal director, producer, worship leader and singer. Brown, along with his background singers, group therAPy, emerged as a breakthrough artist with their first album in 2012 and they have been going forward ever since with four albums to date. “Uplifting” and “invoking a fresh and joyous spirit” have been words used to describe Brown & group therAPy’s music.
Pioneer Forever Friends Adventurers Meeting Online This Week
This Sunday, January 23, the Pioneer Forever Friends Adventurer Club will be meeting online via Zoom. We will be meeting at the regular time, 10:00 AM. Adventurer families, please check your email for the Zoom link and other important information from Forever Friends leaders. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Offering for January 22, 2022
Matthew 5:9-13 “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.”
The purpose of religious liberty ministry within the church is to protect our ability to share and practice our faith both here in the United States and around the world. The Public Affairs and Religious Liberty departments serve to protect and defend our sacred freedoms through a variety of means, that includes the distribution of literature, the education of members and pastors, and legal advocacy, to name a few.
The funds provided today also help sponsor Liberty Magazine subscriptions to individuals who make decisions that impact our ability to live out our religious convictions. It also supports the legal defense of members that experience religious discrimination in the workplace.
The Seventh-day Adventist Church also advocates on behalf of the religious freedoms of individuals who believe differently than we do. In doing so we honor God’s gracious gift of individual choice and the power of the Holy Spirit to motivate sincere change. We invite you to prayerfully consider giving generously today to help others learn the importance of religious liberty and to assist members with religious liberty needs.
—North American Division Stewardship Ministries
New Zoom Sabbath School Class
We would like to inform you that the Seminary Sabbath School class usually taught by Jacques Doukhan and others in room 150 at the Seminary, will be held this quarter (January-March 2022) via Zoom, with the participation of Dr. Felix Cortez, author of the current quarterly on Hebrews. If interested, here is the zoom link for the whole quarter. We appreciate your help in spreading this information to other class members.
Dr. Jacques Doukhan will teach this week's lesson (January 22), "Jesus our Faithful Brother." I invite all of you to this spiritual feast, to think, discuss and grow together. See you soon,
MAP Funding for N2N
Recently, Neighbor To Neighbor(N2N) received $35,000 from the Michigan Advance Plan (MAP) special projects fund to help with the renovation of the Client Services area. This is a gift to the churches in District 9 that support N2N. Have you supported MAP recently? It is an opportunity to support projects like this as well as evangelism, education, camp meeting and camp. Consider being a MAP Partner and devoting one percent of income each month to these lay sponsored projects.
How To Be Rich
We will show a four part series How to Be Rich by Andy Stanley 1/15 "Congratulations" 1/22 "Side Effects" 1/29 "Dollar Cost Living" 2/5 "Diversify"
Come and learn the Bible way: “I will not put my trust in riches but in HIM who richly provides.”
Something In Common Sabbath School meets in Room 141 at 10:30 am
Adventist Engaged Encounter Feb 18-20
Adventist Engaged Encounter (AEE) is a fun weekend intensive workshop for seriously dating, engaged, and newlywed couples. AEE is not group therapy, no sharing with the group required, and it IS a private, safe environment with 12 guided sessions by marriage mentors. AEE is a great tool to add to your relationship toolbox, but AEE IS NOT CRISIS COUNSELING. AEE IS designed to help you take your relationship to the next level of love, connection, focus, and commitment. The weekend of Meetings will be held in the lower level of Nethery Hall starting at 6:30 PM 2/18/22.
New Winter Sabbath Journey: "A Banner Unfurled"
I hope you will join us (online or in-person) for a worship journey we may never have been on together. "A Banner Unfurled" will be a fresh plunge into the shining truth about our Creator-Savior and His gift of the seventh day, the Sabbath, to humanity.
We won’t be arguing over which Day—we already know. But we will be creatively exploring how existentially/experientially the treasure of Christ embedded in the Day can reignite our pandemic-shadowed lives with new light and meaning this New Year.
I'm praying we'll never be the same again as a result of this exploration. And I hope you invite your friends and family to join us.
For your handy reference here is the lineup of our Pioneer winter Sabbaths in 2022:
January 8 – "Killing Time"
January 15 – "'The Peace of Wild Things'"
January 22 – "'All the Light We Cannot See'"
January 29 – Andrews University Student Association Sabbath
February 5 – "Familiarity Breeds Contempt"
February 12 – "'My Soul Followeth Hard After Thee'"
February 19 – Pathfinder Sabbath
February 26 – "'The Things on Which the Light Falls'"
March 5 – "By Playing Silly Games"
Join The Crayon Box Team
Andrews University’s Children’s Learning Center, The Crayon Box, is looking for a dedicated, responsible, loving and creative individual to join our staff to teach and care for our Pre-K (4 year old) children. Must meet Michigan LARA requirements for Lead Caregiver. Must be available to work 9:00-3:00 Monday - Thursday. This position is temporary with the possibility leading to full time employment. Background check, finger printing, TB test and additional job related trainings required. Job requires much physical activity and a high energy level and accuracy and efficiency is required
Must be at least 18 years of age with high school diploma. Must meet LARA requirements for lead caregiver: a bachelor's degree or higher in early childhood education, child development, or a child-related field, associate’s degree or higher in early childhood education or child development or high school diploma with coursework in child-related field and experience. Must love children. Must have a warm and friendly personality with sensitivity to the feelings and needs of both children and adults. Must display a willingness to fulfill responsibilities in accordance with the center's philosophy and mission. Must be a Seventh-day Adventist in good and regular standing.
Pioneer Memorial Church is a place where serving others is its reason for being. There is a healing power in serving others. In the next few weeks, you will hear of opportunities to serve and heal. Respond to the call on your mind and heart. Serve as God leads you. Heal as God heals you.