Pioneer Women’s Ministries engages women in Christ-centered discipleship, fellowship and service to glorify God through prayerfully planned activities and events. We are inviting you to participate in a survey that will help plan these activities and events this year. We would be delighted to hear from you either by completing the online survey or by phone by calling Lyn McCarty at 269-208-3377.
Ground Zero and the New Reformation
How to Be Baptized with the Holy Spirit - Part 2
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online Buy series
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
"Ground Zero and the New Reformation:
How to Be Baptized with the Holy Spirit"—2
Jesus—"If you then who are evil know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him [GK—continually]."
"Morning by morning [Jesus] communicated with His Father in heaven, receiving from Him daily a fresh baptism of the Holy Spirit."
(Signs of the Times November 21, 1895)
- One Story
- Matthew 25:1-13
- Helmut Haubeil: "The lamps of the foolish virgins that only burned for a short time show us that they did have something from the Holy Spirit. But it wasn’t enough. There was too little oil. That was the difference." (Steps to Personal Revival: Being Filled with the Holy Spirit 33)
- "When the five came asking to be let in, Jesus answered: ‘I do not know you.’ They were too late in attending to the oil, the Holy Spirit. The door remained closed. Jesus’ statement shows us that our personal relationship with has something to do with the Holy Spirit." (Ibid)
- A Letter
- Revelation 3:14-20
- Question: Why did Jesus call the believers in the church of Laodicea lukewarm?
- Answer: Because they kept Him .
- 1 John 3:24—"The one who keeps God’s commands lives in [Christ] and He in them. And this is how we know that He lives in us: We know it by the He gave us."
- Note this carefully: When we have the , we have Jesus.
- Romans 8:9—"If anyone does not have the of Christ, they do not belong to Christ."
- Note this carefully: When we don’t have the, we don’t have Jesus.
- Because the Holy Spirit is all about a very relationship with Jesus.
- Three Groups
- #1—The person—no relationship with God (in Laodicea called ).
- #2—The person—full, genuine, real relationship with God (in Laodicea called /10 virgins ).
- #3—The person—divided, feigned or pretended relationship with God (in Laodicea called /10 virgins )
- 1 Corinthians 2:14-3:3
- Helmut Haubeil: "Paul addressed the carnal people as ‘dear brothers’ [15:58]. This shows that he was dealing with church members. Paul couldn’t speak to them ‘as to spiritual people’ . . . [meaning] they weren’t filled with the Holy Spirit or weren’t sufficiently filled with the Holy Spirit. He had to speak to them as ‘babes in Christ.’ This shows that they haven’t grown in faith as they should have. A person can have great biblical knowledge and still not grow spiritually." (33)
- "Carnal church members can be very active and even have leading positions in the local church or even in the church administration. They may even do a lot for God." (Ibid)
- Jesus: "Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name and in Your name drive out demons and in Your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you.’" (Matthew 7:22-23)
- "Spiritual growth has to do with our complete dedication to Jesus and a constant life in the Holy Spirit." (Ibid)
- John 15:4—"Abide in Me as I abide in you."
- Desire of Ages: "Abiding in Christ means a receiving of His Spirit, a life of unreserved surrender to His service."
"Here I am! I stand at the door and knock" —Jesus
For study guide answers download the Study Guide PDF
It's a fresh new year, and it's time for a fresh new Grow Groups season! Grow Groups are Pioneer's small groups that incorporate 5 S's: Shared interest, Spiritual touchpoint, Service project, Social event, Semester-based. That's it, in a nutshell! Grow Groups are for EVERYONE—all welcome to join.
Leaders, if you are passionate about something and want to use that to foster community and lead others to Jesus, we can probably help you turn that passion into a Grow Group! Let us know as soon as possible because the deadline to sign up to lead a group is January 21. For more information please email email@example.com or visit pmchurch.org/grow to sign up.
Dates to Keep in Mind:
- Digital Group Leader Registration Deadline: January 21
- Leader Orientation (via Zoom): February 1, 7:00 PM
- Spring Grow Groups Meet: February 7 – May 1
It is almost time for you to receive your Year-end Contribution Statement. Pioneer knows that you have had an unusual year and wants to make it easy for you to receive your Year-end Contribution Statement. This time around, you will receive your Contribution Statement easily and conveniently via email. If you have not recently updated your contact details, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your current email address to ensure that you receive your statement. Thank you!
"Military life can be a lonely life away from family on deployment," notes James North, Pioneer's Servicepersons Coordinator. "Military families may have a difficult time in a foreign country even though they are together," he continues. "I spent 358 days (I marked each day on a self-created calendar) in Viet Nam away from my wife and 3 toddler daughters. My access to some of the following material was vital."
SDA military persons may receive complimentary subscriptions to Adventist Review, the Adult Bible Study Guide (Sabbath School), and For God and Country and the choice of 2 journals from Guide, Liberty, Message, Our Little Friend, Primary Treasure, Signs of the Times, and Vibrant Life.
A 2021 order form and instructions are found on page 28 of the current issue of For God and Country and I will post a copy of the form in next week's bulletin. If you have military Adventist family members we invite you to send this information to them.