To purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD OnlineBuy series
Dwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
Sing Praise to God • No. 29 st. 1-2, 4 congregation; st. 3 choir only
Words of Joy: from Psalm 100
Anthem of Joy
Psalm 23 • Craig Courtney
Prayer of Rejoicing
Words of Joy: from Psalm 98
Response of Rejoicing
Hymns of Joy in Creation
“A DIY Guide: How to Thank Your Healer”
Dwight K. Nelson
Hymn of Thanksgiving
Now Thank We All Our God • No. 559
Letters of Thanksgiving
For the Beauty of the Earth • Kenneth Logan
Invitation to Giving
What Gift Can We Bring? • Donna Kasbohm / Kenneth Logan; st. 1 solo; st. 2 women; st. 3 all; st. 4 men; st. 5 all
Procession of Thanksgiving: Gifts of Food, Song, Tithes and Offerings
Rejoice, Ye Pure in Heart! (No. 27, st. 1-2) The Lord Is My Light (No. 515, st. 1-2) For the Beauty of the Earth (No. 565, st. 1, 3) ’Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus (No. 524, st. 1, 3) To God Be the Glory (No. 341, st. 1, 3) Praise God, From Whom All Ble
(Timothy Jennings, The God-shaped Brain: How Changing Your View of God Transforms Your Life 57-58)
• #1—Worship a God of love and reject God-concepts that induce .
- 1 John 5:18—”Perfect love drives out fear.”
• #2—Practice regular meditation on some aspect of God’s character of love at least minutes per day.
- Neil Anderson: “Because Satan’s primary weapon is the lie, your defense against him is the truth. . . . When you expose Satan’s lie with God’s truth, his power is broken. . . . We are not called to dispel the darkness; we are called to turn on the light. Deceiving spirits are like cockroaches. They come out only at night, and when you turn on the light, they head for the shadows.” (Victory Over the Darkness 162)
- Ellen White: “When the enemy comes with his darkness, sing faith and talk faith, and you will find that you have sung and talked yourself into the light.” (Mind, Character and Personality 650)
• #3—Be truthful and eliminate falsehood of any kind from your mind.
- Timothy Jennings: “This is particularly important for those who have suffered abuse. Abused children, because of the level of brain development, will misconstrue the meaning of the abuse and [will conclude] . . . typical falsehoods such as, ‘I’m ugly. I’m gross. I’m nasty, dirty, disgusting and unlovable.’ . . . While the facts of history can not be changed, the adult who has suffered abuse can reevaluate the historic event and apply the truth, that the awful feelings once experienced belong to the event, not to the self. The application of truth is healing.”(57)
• #4—Live to .
• #5—Establish relationships with people of loving and character, and terminate destructive and exploitive relationships.
• #6—Trust God with your and your life’s outcomes.
- Jennings: “One of the greatest sources of worry and fear is trying to make life turn out the way we want, rather than simply choosing what is right. . . and trusting God with the outcome.” (57-58)
• #7—Live in harmony with the physical design protocol for life such as regular sleep, drink plenty of water, exercise mind and body regularly, avoid toxins, and eat a balanced diet.
• #8—When mistakes are made, resolve as soon as possible, forgive those who mistreat you, and don’t hold to anger or grudges as such emotions activate the body’s inflammatory cascade.
• #9—Resolve , as unremedied fear truly destroys.
• #10—Wake up .
- Ministry of Healing:
“When you open your eyes in the morning, thank God that He has kept you through the night. Thank Him for His peace in your heart. Morning, noon, and night, let gratitude as a sweet perfume ascend to heaven.” (253)
“My life is Christ nothing else really matters.”
Lead or Join a Grow Group
It's a fresh new year, and it's time for a fresh new Grow Groups season! Grow Groups are Pioneer's small groups that incorporate 5 S's: Shared interest, Spiritual touchpoint, Service project, Social event, Semester-based. That's it, in a nutshell! Grow Groups are for EVERYONE—all welcome to join.
Leaders, if you are passionate about something and want to use that to foster community and lead others to Jesus, we can probably help you turn that passion into a Grow Group! Let us know as soon as possible because the deadline to sign up to lead a group is January 21. For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit pmchurch.org/grow to sign up.
Dates to Keep in Mind:
Digital Group Leader Registration Deadline: January 21
Leader Orientation (via Zoom): February 1, 7:00 PM
It is almost time for you to receive your Year-end Contribution Statement. Pioneer knows that you have had an unusual year and wants to make it easy for you to receive your Year-end Contribution Statement. This time around, you will receive your Contribution Statement easily and conveniently via email. If you have not recently updated your contact details, please email email@example.com with your current email address to ensure that you receive your statement. Thank you!
Adventist active-duty military personnel are eligible to receive a free devotional book, courtesy of the National Service Organization and Adventist Chaplaincy Ministries. Single service members, as well as other employee categories, may choose one free devotional. Married service members may choose two devotional books. You may order these online in your personal profile here at AdventistsonUniform.org. There will be more information about the profile next week.
Our National Service Organization, a subsidiary of Adventist Chaplaincy Ministries offers a free devotional book annually.
To be eligible for NSO-sponsored complimentary devotional books, you must be a Seventh-day Adventist Church member in an Adventist church in the North American Division and in one of the following military-related categories:
All North American Division members who are active-duty military stationed overseas for a year or longer
DoD civilian employee of the military services stationed overseas
DoDEA teacher or principal stationed overseas
Military exchanges (AAFES, NEX, etc.) worker overseas
Government contractor overseas
A spouse living overseas with their non-Adventist military spouse
Keep our service people in prayer. They face some difficult decisions and endure hardships daily and need God's wisdom and protection. Have you any military family members or friends that we can include in our prayers? Send their names to firstname.lastname@example.org.