To purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD OnlineBuy series
Dwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
Sing Praise to God • No. 29 st. 1-2, 4 congregation; st. 3 choir only
Words of Joy: from Psalm 100
Anthem of Joy
Psalm 23 • Craig Courtney
Prayer of Rejoicing
Words of Joy: from Psalm 98
Response of Rejoicing
Hymns of Joy in Creation
“A DIY Guide: How to Thank Your Healer”
Dwight K. Nelson
Hymn of Thanksgiving
Now Thank We All Our God • No. 559
Letters of Thanksgiving
For the Beauty of the Earth • Kenneth Logan
Invitation to Giving
What Gift Can We Bring? • Donna Kasbohm / Kenneth Logan; st. 1 solo; st. 2 women; st. 3 all; st. 4 men; st. 5 all
Procession of Thanksgiving: Gifts of Food, Song, Tithes and Offerings
Rejoice, Ye Pure in Heart! (No. 27, st. 1-2) The Lord Is My Light (No. 515, st. 1-2) For the Beauty of the Earth (No. 565, st. 1, 3) ’Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus (No. 524, st. 1, 3) To God Be the Glory (No. 341, st. 1, 3) Praise God, From Whom All Ble
(Timothy Jennings, The God-shaped Brain: How Changing Your View of God Transforms Your Life 57-58)
• #1—Worship a God of love and reject God-concepts that induce .
- 1 John 5:18—”Perfect love drives out fear.”
• #2—Practice regular meditation on some aspect of God’s character of love at least minutes per day.
- Neil Anderson: “Because Satan’s primary weapon is the lie, your defense against him is the truth. . . . When you expose Satan’s lie with God’s truth, his power is broken. . . . We are not called to dispel the darkness; we are called to turn on the light. Deceiving spirits are like cockroaches. They come out only at night, and when you turn on the light, they head for the shadows.” (Victory Over the Darkness 162)
- Ellen White: “When the enemy comes with his darkness, sing faith and talk faith, and you will find that you have sung and talked yourself into the light.” (Mind, Character and Personality 650)
• #3—Be truthful and eliminate falsehood of any kind from your mind.
- Timothy Jennings: “This is particularly important for those who have suffered abuse. Abused children, because of the level of brain development, will misconstrue the meaning of the abuse and [will conclude] . . . typical falsehoods such as, ‘I’m ugly. I’m gross. I’m nasty, dirty, disgusting and unlovable.’ . . . While the facts of history can not be changed, the adult who has suffered abuse can reevaluate the historic event and apply the truth, that the awful feelings once experienced belong to the event, not to the self. The application of truth is healing.”(57)
• #4—Live to .
• #5—Establish relationships with people of loving and character, and terminate destructive and exploitive relationships.
• #6—Trust God with your and your life’s outcomes.
- Jennings: “One of the greatest sources of worry and fear is trying to make life turn out the way we want, rather than simply choosing what is right. . . and trusting God with the outcome.” (57-58)
• #7—Live in harmony with the physical design protocol for life such as regular sleep, drink plenty of water, exercise mind and body regularly, avoid toxins, and eat a balanced diet.
• #8—When mistakes are made, resolve as soon as possible, forgive those who mistreat you, and don’t hold to anger or grudges as such emotions activate the body’s inflammatory cascade.
• #9—Resolve , as unremedied fear truly destroys.
• #10—Wake up .
- Ministry of Healing:
“When you open your eyes in the morning, thank God that He has kept you through the night. Thank Him for His peace in your heart. Morning, noon, and night, let gratitude as a sweet perfume ascend to heaven.” (253)
“My life is Christ nothing else really matters.”
Adult Sabbath School Resumes November 6
Four vital elements of the early church’s growth are still very much in season: teaching, fellowship, prayer and sharing meals (see Acts 2:42). They were Love on the Move “in the beginning”—and they still capture our mission of Love on the Move today.
The good news is after a long pandemic hiatus, these four vital activities resume for the adult Sabbath School program and classes at Pioneer—Sabbath, November 6, 2021, 10:30 AM in the Sanctuary.
Whether you once belonged to one of the Bible study classes or you would like to be part of a new class, you’re invited to join Melchizedek Ponniah and his team of leaders and teachers in a new season of mid-morning study and fellowship.
If you were one of the regular pre-pandemic adult class teachers and are interested in leading a study group again or if you are new and interested in assisting or leading a new Bible class, please contact Melchi Ponniah (email@example.com) or Heidi Ha at the church office (269-471-3133).
Love on the Move may yet be masked—but it will not be stopped. Invite a friend to join you in a new beginning November 6.
Offering for October 23, 2021
Michigan Advance Partners — McMillan Church
In early 2020 the McMillan Northwoods church began considering how they might reach into the community and also have a way to draw the community in. They wanted to begin having a bigger footprint in their district.
As the world began to shut down due to the worldwide COVID-19 pandemic, the desire to have a stronger digital presence and the need for equipment to present, prepare and distribute digital media became stronger. The only thing standing in the way was a severe shortage of funds. Times had been hard, and special appeals had been made to help get the church back on a good financial footing.
Many were the projects that needed attention. With work needed on the roof, the need for a ramp, and the changes taking place in the world, was this what the Lord wanted them to do? Prayer and several meetings later, the consensus came that if the Lord would provide the way, the church would move forward.
A request was made and MAP was able to be the answer to their prayer. Now the church has internet access, a streaming computer and has participated in both Hope Awakens and Revelation NOW! Members have been blessed, the worship experience enhanced, and the online videos and DVDs they are sharing with their friends and neighbors are helping the Gospel look even more attractive.
Several connections have been made in the community and Bible Studies have been initiated.
This is the mission of MAP, giving opportunity for every member to be able to help expand the reach of the gospel thru local projects. Whether it is maintaining the current facilities or current projects, or beginning something new, your gift to MAP is going to help keep the Gospel fresh and relevant and take it to the world. Thank you for your support, as Michigan continues to Advance through Partnering together to spread the gospel until Jesus comes.
—North American Division Stewardship Ministries
Jean Drive: Give Your Jeans a Second Life By Giving Them to a Woman In Need
Pioneer Memorial Church and the Center for Faith Engagement are partnering with Paris' Purse to sponsor a jean drive. On November 6, during either church service, you're invited to bring in a pair of jeans. Your jeans will be given a second life by helping a woman in need. They can be jeans for men or women. We'll have donation bins by the entrance awning, the welcome center in the children's wing, and the narthex. If you forget to bring in jeans on that day, you can also bring them to the Center for Faith Engagement. You can also give a financial donation to Paris' Purse (501c3) at www.parispurseinc.com
Memorial Service for Dr. Steven Tarangle
A memorial service for Dr. Steven Tarangle will be held in the Sanctuary on October 30, 2021, 3:00–5:00 PM
PAUSE: Prayer, Remembrance, and Healing for our AU Family
AU Wind Symphony Fall Concert
The AU Wind Symphony presents its fall concert, "Hands Across the Sea" on Saturday, October 23rd, at 8:00 PM in the Howard Performing Arts Center. The international theme of this program includes the titular march emphasizing the friendship of nations, as well as music from Russian, Scotland, Armenia, Norway, the Andean region of South America, Japan, Korea, and even the planet Jupiter. You won’t want to miss this concert as the Wind Symphony performs its first full concert of the 2021-2022 season. Audience members in attendance will be required to wear a mask, but there are no limits on seating capacity, so please join us in-person to experience live music once again!
The Darkness Will Not Overcome Series Archives
The Darkness Will Not Overcome series archives are now available at pmchurch.org/overcome. Videos and podcasts are now available on your favorite podcast provider. Start sharing today!
–Pioneer Media Department
Helping Neighbor to Neighbor
Did you know that Neighbor to Neighbor provides clothing, furniture, food, supplies for infants, counseling services, and so much more to people in need across Michiana? That's why we're excited to invite you to be a part of a very special project. On Sunday, October 24, a group of volunteers led by contractors and experienced roofers are going to put new shingles on the original Neighbor 2 Neighbor building and we invite you be a part of this. For more information and to register, text N2N to 269-281-2345. We’ll see you there.
Vacancy - Thrift Store Associate
Neighbor To Neighbor is looking for a Thrift Store Assistant. If you are interested please submit a resume to Laura Meyer at firstname.lastname@example.org
Howard Series Presents: Chi Yong Yun
Pianist Chi Yong Yun is an exceptional artist whose stellar abilities as a performer are recognized internationally and to critical acclaim. Whether as a soloist, collaborative musician, or master teacher, her skills as a pianist are exquisite. Listening to a concert performed by Chi Yong Yun is an experience not to be missed. Go to http://howard.andrews.edu for ticket prices.