To purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD OnlineBuy series
Dwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
• The promise: You will sit with Me on My one day.
• The condition: You must first today.
• Sigve Tonstad: “Awareness of conflict changes the way we construe victory and defeat. While Jesus makes promises ‘to everyone who conquers,’ with no object in the sentence, the tenor of conflict is better preserved if we translate it ‘to everyone who overcomes .’ It is not wrong to say that the believers ‘overcome’ or ‘conquer,’ but it is implied throughout that they are engaged in a .”
• Revelation 12:7-9, 12, 17
• “If the curtain could be rolled back, and each one could discern the constant activities of the heavenly family to preserve the inhabitants of the earth from Satan’s seductive
wiles, . . . [t]hey would see that the armies of heaven are in continual warfare with satanic agencies, to obtain victories in behalf of those who do not sense their danger, and who are passing on in unconscious indifference. Angels are belting the world, refusing Satan his claims to supremacy. . . . We hear not the voices, we see not with the natural sight the work of these angels, but their hands are linked about the world, and with sleepless vigilance they are keeping the armies of Satan at bay.” (In Heavenly Places 98)
• “To the one who overcomes as I .”
• John 16:33— “‘In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have the world!’”
» Why don’t more Christians live victorious lives?
• Reason #1—We do not fully appreciate the sinfulness of .
• Vaughn Allen: “We do not realize how utterly detestable sin is; we do not comprehend how contrary sin is to God’s character and how terribly offensive it is to Him. We have lived with sin and its results so long and toyed with it so much that for us it has lost much of its horror and repugnance.” (The War Is Real: And So Is the Victory 71)
• Steps to Christ: “We shall not renounce sin unless we see its .” (23)
• Vaughn Allen: “The absolute horror of sin can be seen only when we look at the . It would be well for us each day to pray that God would give us a genuine abhorrence of sin and a for it because of what it did to the Son of God and because of what it does to us.” (71)
• Reason #2—We are not convinced that sin is possible in this life.
• Great Controversy: “If those who hide and excuse their faults could see how Satan exults over them, how he taunts Christ and holy angels with their course, they would make haste to confess their sins and to put them away. Through defects in the character, Satan works to gain control of the whole mind, and he knows that if these defects are cherished, he will succeed. Therefore he is constantly seeking to deceive the followers of Christ with his sophistry that it is impossible for them to overcome.” (489)
• Signs of the Times: “Without Christ we cannot subdue a single sin or overcome the smallest temptation.” (August 10, 1891)
• Jesus: “‘Without Me you can do nothing.’” John 15:5
• Philippians 4:13—“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”
• Jude 24—“Now to Him who is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy.
• Selected Messages: “He who has not sufficient faith in Christ to believe that He can keep him from , has not the faith that will give him an entrance into the kingdom of God.” (3:360)
• 1 John 2:1, 13-14; 5:3-4
• Revelation 3:20
• Before Jesus commands Laodicea to “ ” the devil, He invites us to “ ” the door.
• Selected Messages: “John pointed the people to the Lamb of God who taketh away the sins of the world. He said, ‘Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.’ There is a great deal in that ‘taketh away.’ The question is, Shall we keep on sinning as though it were an impossibility for us to overcome? How are we to overcome? As Christ overcame, and that is the only way. He prayed to His heavenly Father. We can do the same....When tempted to speak wrong and do wrong resist Satan and say, I will not surrender my will to your control. I will cooperate with divine power and through grace be conqueror.” (3:195)
“Faith is the Victory”
Pioneer Fellowship Dinner Returns in September
Pioneer Fellowship Dinners Return this September. This time, there's an exciting new twist. Every meal will be an opportunity for fellowship among members and visitors.
Appetizer! Pioneer's large congregation will meet each week in groups of about 135 persons, so that over a year, each group can participate twice. This means more opportunities for fellowship among members and visitors alike.
The scoop! The dinners will be like a traditional potluck. Fellowship Dinner Ministry Team will provide the main course each Sabbath, and members who attend will be asked to bring side dishes. Members who are invited for that week will receive an email or text message listing the menu and suggesting what side dishes are needed. Single members are encouraged, where possible, to bring one side dish to serve at least 12-15 persons; families are encouraged, where possible, to bring 2 dishes—each to serve at least 12-15 persons. A form will be provided to RSVP.
S'More! If your name is not included in the alphabetical list for a particular Sabbath, but you would like to join the meal, that is not a problem—just bring a dish to share and join the fellowship.
Please plan to join us!
District 9 Family Camp
Labor Day weekend is just around the corner and with it comes the District 9 Family Camp. Reserve your spot online or obtain application materials from the church office. The deadline for reservations is Noon on Sunday, August 22. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Ric Streelman at 269-208-7172. You will be physically refreshed and spiritually blessed!
September 3–6, 2021
Camp Au Sable
Memorial Service for Ellen Council-Croak
July 31, 2021, 4:00 PM
Pioneer Youth Chapel
ASM Sweet Corn Feed
IT'S GOING TO HAPPEN! Adventist Seniors of Michiana (60 and up) will hold its annual sweet corn feed at Wolf's Prairie Park, Berrien Springs, by Lake Chapin. (Take Cass Street to the end, and you'll be in the park.) It's a potluck, so fix one of your specialties. We'll provide the sweet corn. This will be the resumption of our regular ASM meetings. Thank you for waiting patiently as we've been apart. Feel free to bring a friend and we'll see you on the 15th.
August 15, 2021, Noon - 2:00 PM
Wolfs Prairie Park, Berrien Springs
Happy 97th Birthday, Esther!
Happy birthday, to Esther Tarangle who turns 97 on July 28! Her family is blessed to have her. To send wishes, please bring them to the Pioneer front office.
Offering for July 31, 2021
Pioneer Operating Budget
A blessing is on the man who puts his faith in the Lord, and whose hope the Lord is. For he will be like a tree planted by the waters, pushing out its roots by the stream; he will have no fear when the heat comes, but his leaf will be green; in a dry year he will have no care, and will go on giving fruit. (Jeremiah 17:7, 8 - Bible in Basic English)
One of the fun activities available at Camp AuSable is High Adventure. You can climb a rock wall, glide down the zip line, ride the swing, or leap of faith. If you choose the leap of faith you will climb a pole 26 feet high, stand on the top, and then jump off into the air.
Of course, you are strapped into a harness, and that is where the faith comes in. Someone is on the ground controlling your fall with ropes that are attached to the harness. You are trusting them to bring you smoothly and safely to the ground.
Sometimes it may seem like a great leap of faith to return to God His tithe and our offerings. But God has proven that He is Someone we can have faith in. When we are faithful with tithe and offering we can be confident that God will keep His Word, and our needs will be provided for.
Today, take a leap of faith. Give a faithful offering to the Local Church Budget and trust God to provide for your needs.
—North American Division Stewardship Ministries
New College Students Welcome Reception
A reception will take place on the lawn in front of Pioneer (Campus Mall) immediately following the 11:45 AM service on August 28. We are looking for volunteers to help furnish 3 dozen cookies for the event. We will serve cookies and lemonade to welcome the new students. To help, please call the church at 269-471-3131 or confirm online. Instructions will be sent to volunteers furnishing cookies. We hope you'll join us in welcoming the new students!
Andrews University is helping to support the SDA church members in southwest Madagascar who are currently experiencing severe drought and famine in addition to the COVID-19 pandemic. In response, you can provide food to those in desperate need.
We have been told that some members eat mud, roots, and leaves to try and remove hunger cramps. As a member of the Adventist family, you can feed a family of four for one month for $50, providing vital rice, beans, oil, and other essential food. The neediness of these families is serious. There are eleven churches scattered around the affected area with 494 families and over 1,691 individuals. Even though some food aid was collected and distributed in November 2020, the drought has continued, and that food is now used up.
Give online or write a check to Andrews University with the memo “CIDP-Famine Relief” and send it to:
Office of Development
8903 US Hwy 31
Berrien Springs, MI 49104-0660
Something in Common Sabbath School is meeting again! For the summer we are temporarily meeting in the Pioneer Commons. We are watching portions of Gary Smalley's classic "Keys to Loving Relationships" and discussing how to apply these principles to our families. Come and join us!
Saturdays, 10:30-11:30 AM
Location: Pioneer Commons
Financial Peace University
It's time to stop worrying about money! In Financial Peace University, you'll learn the biblical truths to help you keep a budget, beat debt, and build wealth! Class begins Tuesday, June 8, 2021 (6:30—7:30 PM).