To purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online
Dwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
• Ranko Stefanovic: “Because of its favorable location on the system of Roman roads, the city became one of the greatest commercial and financial centers of the ancient world.” (Revelation of Jesus Christ 144)
• Parallel #2—
• Parallel #3—
• Parallel #4—
• Roy Allen Anderson: “Valuable wool was produced in the valley, soft in texture, glossy black in color, but tinged as it were with violet. Black garments were worn almost exclusively by the Laodiceans as evidence of their wealth.” (Unfolding the Revelation 42)
• Parallel #5—
• Parallel #6—
• Jacques Doukhan: “Their mentality is but the symptom of a civilization that prides itself in its secularism and humanism while excluding God. . . . The human has usurped the divine on all levels.” (Secrets of Revelation 46)
• Parallel #7—
• Greek—”a people judged”
•Ellen White: “The Lord has done more for the United States than for any other country upon which the sun shines. . . . Here Christianity has progressed in its purity. . . . But the enemy of all righteousness has designs upon God’s purpose for this country. He will bring in enterprises that will lead men to forget that there is a God. Worldliness and covetousness, which is idolatry, will prevail through the working of the archdeceiver, till the law of God, in all its bearings, shall be made void.” (Maranatha 193)
• James Warren: “[Roger] Williams disavowed the Puritan’s cherished belief that their Holy Commonwealths were in a special covenant with God. There was no ‘chosen nation’ in the seventeenth century, nor had there been once since Moses’ Israel. Williams believed . . . that ‘since the coming of Christ the only way God had contracted with men . . . was through the churches of Christ. . . . Nobody of men who now employed force in defense of religion, whether at home or abroad, could claim the name Christian.’” (God, War and Providence 70-71)
• America is a Christian nation.
• Martin Luther King, Jr: “The church must be reminded that it is not the master or the servant of the state, but rather the of the state.”
• Jonathan Walton: “‘Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness’ are promised by America and God. But they are not the same in origin, practice, or motive. The goals and intentions of the Declaration of Independence sit in opposition to the gospel of Christ. The totality of Scripture does not endorse the marriage of God and country or the establishment, development, or practices of any country in the name of Jesus.” (Twelve Lies That Hold America Captive: And the Truth That Sets Us Free 18)
»So what hope is there for this nation?
•Revelation 14:6-7—”And I saw another angel flying in midheaven, having an eternal gospel to preach to those who live on the earth, and to every nation and tribe and tongue and people; and he said with a loud voice, ‘Fear God, and give Him glory, because the hour of His judgment has come; worship Him who made the heaven and the earth and sea and springs of waters.’”
• Acts 4:12—”’Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved [than the name of Jesus].”
• John 4:42—”They said to the woman, ‘We no longer believe just because of what you said; now we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this Man really is the Savior of the world.’”
• Jon Meacham: “‘A bold President who knew himself to be supported by a majority in the country, might be tempted to override the law, and deprive the minority of the protection which the law affords it,’ [James] Bryce wrote. ‘He might be a tyrant, not against the masses, but with the masses.’” (The Soul of America: The Battle for Our Better Angels 271)
• America’s thought leaders need Liberty.
God save America—and let me help You!
ASAP Ministries 25th Anniversary Celebration
ASAP Ministries invites you to "God's Legacy of Love," a special event celebrating 25 years of mission starting on Friday October 23. For more information regarding speakers, the location, program scheduling, and Zoom and livestreaming options, visit:
asapministries.org or call 269-471-3026.
AMEN Virtual Conference
Does your heartbeat with a desire to share Christ? Do you wish you felt more comfortable and knew how to share Christ effectively with your patients? The AMEN Conference is for you!
If you desire to have a deeper relationship with Christ so that you can be even more effective in leading your patients to reach out in faith to the Christ that you love so deeply, be sure to attend the 2020 AMEN Conference, “Touch of Faith” brought to you virtually October 29 – November 1, 2020.
Speakers include: Pastors Ted Wilson, Mark Finley, & Kameron DeVasher; Dentists Carlos Moretta and Milan Moskala; Physicians Zeno Charles-Marcel, Roger Seheult, Andi Hunsaker, Brian Schwartz, and many others.
All physicians, dentists, healthcare professionals, and pastors are encouraged to attend. There will also be a special session for medical & dental students on Friday evening.
The Pioneer Youth will now meet weekly in the Youth Chapel, and the Earliteens will meet in the Teen Loft.
Speech & Hearing Clinic
The Andres University Speech & Hearing Clinic is now offering comprehensive hearing evaluations at the School of Communication Sciences and Disorders.These appointments are open for all ages, those on campus, and all community as well. If you have concerns regarding your hearing or are willing to give an hour of your time so that our students can practice their testing skills, please contact our department to schedule your screening at 269-471-3468 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. A licensed audiologist will supervise all testing.
Fall 2020 Schedule (begins September 28)
Mondays at 2:30 PM
Tuesdays at 1:00 and 2:15 PM
Wednesdays at 12:45 and 2:00 PM
At this time there is no charge for the hearing evaluation, however, a donation of $25 is encouraged.
The Center for Faith Engagement and the PMC Youth Ministries are hosting a purse drive for homeless women in Berrien County. On November 12, the students on campus will fill the bags with health and beauty products and will donate them to Paris’ Purse Inc.,
a non-profit that seeks to empower homeless women by providing them with these purses. So please, if you have a handbag that you no longer use or need, we would love to put it to great use. You will find boxes in the lobbies where you can drop them off. Please drop them off by November 1.
Thank You, Pastors!
October is Pastor Appreciation Month. You will wholeheartedly agree that our Pioneer pastors have worked very diligently and creatively throughout this year. As a congregation we have been blessed and we would like to take this opportunity to thank them for their efforts. Although we do not have thank you cards available this year, you can write a personal note and we will deliver it to them electronically.
Did you know that Pioneer video archives are all availale online through a Vimeo account? Pioneer uses Vimeo to post more than just sermons including announcements and special features. Start watching today at https://vimeo.com/pmchurch.
Pioneer's Bible Journey Sabbath School class will be using the Experiencing God: Knowing and Doing the Will of God (Study Guide) next quarter, beginning October 3. If you have always wanted to read this book, which has changed so many lives, you are welcome to
join us by Zoom. The class meets each Sabbath from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. The 270-page study guide, which is conveniently divided into 12 weekly lessons, can be purchased at Amazon.com for $15.99. For more information and to receive the Zoom link each week, please contact Jane Thayer at email@example.com.
Make a Difference as an Online Chat Host
Are you friendly and do you enjoy social media? Then, we have a great opportunity for you to be involved in ministry. Through streaming its services on Facebook Live and our website, Pioneer Memorial Church reaches thousands of people every single week. We’re looking to build a new team of local moderators/hosts for our online chat experiences. You could do this from your home. For more information contact Rodlie Ortiz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Love on the Move
Over the summer and fall of 2019 Pioneer underwent significant physical renovation—including a new roof and a major Sanctuary makeover. During the same time congregation leaders engaged in multiple conversations about our missional renovation—how does a faith community like Pioneer seriously engage and impact the people around us for Christ? From this dialogue emerged a fresh new expression of our Pioneer mission: "Love on the Move."