O God, Father of military persons as well as civilians, on this Sabbath following Veterans’ Day, we pray for all those who have served in one of the branches of the Department of Defense-Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marines, and Navy, and have separated or retired. We realize that not all were God-loving or even God-fearing, but all were serving their country selflessly. Many have been very seriously wounded, some physically, some mentally-lifelong wounds. But, wounded or not we ask for them your bounteous grace and mercy-lifelong. Touch with generous and caring hearts those who have caring responsibilities, official and unofficial, to provide gracious and comprehensive care as Good Samaritans. Today, we also pray Your merciful care for all veterans, world-wide, through Jesus, Who has all authority in Heaven and Earth, till He comes again. Amen.
Gone to the Birds
Lessons from the Divine Ornithologist - Part 3
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online Buy series
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
"Gone to the Birds: Lessons from the Divine Ornithologist"—3
- Matthew 23:37
- Jesus: "How often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you would not."
- Craig Keener: "Jewish tradition claimed that Jewish people were under God's wings, and when a Jewish person converted a Gentile, he or she brought that Gentile 'under the wings of God's presence.'" (The IVP Bible Background Commentary 111)
- "No more poignant or tender expression of solicitude ever came from the lips of Jesus." (SDABC 5:493)
- Desire of Ages: "Divine pity marked the countenance of the Son of God as He cast one lingering look upon the temple and then upon His hearers. In a voice choked by deep anguish of heart and bitter tears He exclaimed, 'O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!' This is the separation struggle. In the lamentation of Christ the very heart of God is pouring itself forth. It is the mysterious farewell of the long-suffering love of the Deity." (620)
- Psalm 91
- KJV (vv1-2)—"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the Most High [Elyon] shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty [Shaddai]. I will say of the LORD [Yahweh], He is my refuge and my fortress: my God [Elohim]; in him will I trust."
- Ellen White: "God's commandment-keeping people stand under the broad shield of Omnipotence." (8T 120)
- Psalm 124:7—"We have escaped like a bird from the fowler's snare; the snare has been broken, and we have escaped."
- NET Bible dictionary: "FOWLER: A professional birdcatcher. In the days previous to firearms, birds were captured with nets spread on the ground, in traps and snares. . . . or the use of the throw-stick (Ecclesiasticus 11:30). This was a stick 1 1/2 feet in length and 1/2 inches in diameter, hurled with a rotary motion at the legs of the birds and was very effective when thrown into flocks of ground birds, such as partridge or quail, especially if the birds were running up hill." (http://classic.net.bible.org/dictionary.php?word=FOWLER)
- Ecclesiastes 9:12—"Moreover, no one knows when their hour will come: As fish are caught in a cruel net, or birds are taken in a snare, so people are trapped by evil times that fall unexpectedly upon them."
- Patriarchs and Prophets: "The great mass of the world will reject God's mercy, and will be overwhelmed in swift and irretrievable ruin. But those who heed the warning shall dwell 'in the secret place of the Most High,' and 'abide under the shadow of the Almighty.'" (167)
- Psalm 91:4—"He will cover you with His feathers, and under His wings you will find refuge."
- Psalm 17:8-9—"Keep me as the apple of Your eye; hide me under the shadow of Your wings, from the wicked who oppress me, from my deadly enemies who surround me."
- Psalm 57:1—"Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me! For my soul trusts in You; and in the shadow of Your wings I will make my refuge, until these calamities have passed by."
- Psalm 91:11—the line Satan left out—"He will guard you in all your ways."
- Memorize Psalm 91—
- "Let the more important passages of Scripture [e.g., Psalm 91] . . . be committed to memory, not as a task, but as a privilege. Though at first the memory may be defective, it will gain strength by exercise . . ." (CG 511)
- According to the Journal of the American Medical Association (Vol 287, No 6, p 742), the National Institute of Aging found that "adults who regularly participate in intellectually stimulating activities [such as memorization] may reduce their risk of developing dementia such as Alzheimer's disease by as much as 47%."
"Under His wings I am safely abiding"
William Orcutt Cushing
First Advent Calendar 2021
“Reflections on Christmas Hymns”
December 1-25, 2021
This Christmas season, Pioneer Women’s Ministries is delighted to share with you a Christmas Hymn Reflection each day through Christmas day. A daily email and/or a text will be sent to those who register. To register, text HYMNS to 269-281-2345.
The World Service Organization (WSO) is part of the Adventist Chaplaincy Ministries Department. The WSO is the church entity that supports Adventists who serve their communities, militaries, and local, regional, and national governments.
In order to support you, we need to know who you are and what you do. We have created a system to collect this information and store it securely. Now, we need you to create your profile.
WHO SHOULD CREATE A PROFILE
Any Adventist who serves in:
- a national military or defense force (This includes Active Duty, Reserves, and National Guard, and State Defense Forces.)
- Law Enforcement personnel (City, County, State/Province/Federal)
- Firefighters (City, County, State/Province/Federal)
- Search and Rescue/EMTs/First Responders
- Corrections (State/Province or Federal)
- Government (City, County, State/Province, or Federal)
- Military veterans
YOU CAN CREATE YOUR PERSONAL PROFILE AT PORTAL.WORLDSERVICEORGANIZATION.ORG.
Once you log in, choose the Adventist in Uniform/Government registration platform. You’ll be asked to provide your name and contact information, government service information, and church relationship.
Be sure to complete the section on subscriptions to receive your complimentary For God and Country magazine subscription, occasional email updates, and texts from the World Service Organization. Don’t forget to click submit.
You're invited to our Wednesday morning prayer meeting which meets at 7:00 AM on Zoom. This is a fantastic group that meets to share and pray together once a week. We are about to head into the holiday season, we are going to begin a series that you are not going to want to miss. Over the last year, we have explored biblical characters who shared their faith. As we begin our next chapter, I would like to invite you to join us as we explore 5 steps to intentionally sharing our faith. This series will run from November 10 – December 8.
We at Pioneer have been celebrating with Don and Trudy Starlin over his recent successful double-lung transplant. He had days to live when the donor's lungs became available. And the good news is he is recovering very well, having been moved from his transplant hospital to a nearby rehabilitation hospital. The last text message from Trudy reports he walked 1,650 steps a couple of days ago, his chest and feeding tubes have been removed, his spirits are strong—and we join them in praising God for this miraculous (how else can you describe a double-lung transplant?) intervention.
Family and friends of the Starlins have started a GoFundMe account to raise monies to offset the immense costs of this transplant operation. Insurance simply does not cover the myriad of expenses—room and board in the city, loss of employment during the recent months of waiting, continued unemployment until recovery is complete, rehabilitation, et al. While Pioneer cannot publish every worthy GoFundMe project, we can rally to the needs of this hometown couple who have faithfully served this congregation and are facing monumental financial challenges.
May our prayers surround these two Pioneer Family members on their road to recovery—"being confident of this, that He who began a good work in [them] will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus" (Philippians 1:6).
Due to excessive lead in the water in Benton Harbor, Harbor of Hope serves as a distribution site for cases of free bottled water for Benton Harbor residents. Volunteers are needed from 4:00 – 6:00 PM every Sabbath afternoon.
Pioneer cares about the health of our community and our congregation. We monitor the spread of COVID-19, especially the delta variant, closely. Berrien County's level of transmission is now High, as classified by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
In alignment with Andrews University (AU), masks are now required indoors at Pioneer, regardless of vaccination status (AU guidelines).
- wear a mask indoors
- practice physical distancing
- practice good hand hygiene
If you feel unwell at all, even with symptoms of a cold or flu, please do join our online worship at https://www.pmchurch.org.
We pray for God's continued protection to keep our church community safe and healthy,
—Pioneer Safety Committee
Join us for our Sabbath afternoon prayer walk on campus! We meet at the stairs behind the statue, and it starts at 4:45 PM and ends by 5:45 PM. We would love to have you join us. If that day/time does not work for you, there are other days that people are
prayer walking, as well. Questions? Contact: Ildiko at firstname.lastname@example.org; Andrew at email@example.com; or Andrea at firstname.lastname@example.org.