O God, Father of military persons as well as civilians, on this Sabbath following Veterans’ Day, we pray for all those who have served in one of the branches of the Department of Defense-Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marines, and Navy, and have separated or retired. We realize that not all were God-loving or even God-fearing, but all were serving their country selflessly. Many have been very seriously wounded, some physically, some mentally-lifelong wounds. But, wounded or not we ask for them your bounteous grace and mercy-lifelong. Touch with generous and caring hearts those who have caring responsibilities, official and unofficial, to provide gracious and comprehensive care as Good Samaritans. Today, we also pray Your merciful care for all veterans, world-wide, through Jesus, Who has all authority in Heaven and Earth, till He comes again. Amen.
Finding Jesus in the Gathering Dark - 2
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online Buy series
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
“STORM: Finding Jesus in the Gathering Dark”—2
- The Storm
- Ian Bremmer: “The international order itself is unraveling. In the past eight years alone, the world has seen the worst financial crisis in decades, a global recession, a historic debt crisis in the euro zone, a wave of unrest across North Africa and the Middle East, civil war in Syria, a migrant crisis that calls into question the future of Europe’s open borders, war between Russia and Ukraine, Brexit, an explosion of cyber aggression and the election as U.S. President of one Donald Trump. Call it geopolitical creative destruction or just the sound of things falling apart, but the grinding of G-zero gears has become too loud to ignore.” (http://time.com/4606071/american-global-leadership-is-over/)
- Ellen White: “The present is a time of overwhelming interest to all living. Rulers and statesmen, men who occupy positions of trust and authority, thinking men and women of all classes, have their attention fixed upon the events taking place about us. They are watching the strained, restless relations that exist among the nations. They observe the intensity that is taking possession of every earthly element, and they recognize that something great and decisive is about to take place—that the world is on the verge of a stupendous crisis.” (Education 179)
- “Angels are now restraining the winds of strife, that they may not blow until the world shall be warned of its coming doom; but a storm is gathering, ready to burst upon the earth; and when God shall bid His angels loose the winds, there will be such a scene of strife as no pen can picture.” (Education 179-180)
- The Faith of Jesus
- Luke 18:8—“‘When the Son of Man comes, will He find on the earth?’”
- 1 John 5:4—“For everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our .”
- John 16:33—“‘I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have the world.’”
- Hebrews 2:10-13—“‘I will put My in Him.’” (v 13)
- Revelation 14:12 NKJV—“Here is the patience of the saints; here are those who keep the commandments of God and the of Jesus.”
- 1 Corinthians 15:57—“But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory our Lord Jesus Christ.”
- Galatians 2:20 KJV—“I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in : and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.”
- Revelation 3:21—“‘To the one who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with Me on my throne, I overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.’”
- Christ’s Object Lessons 149: “All that Christ received from God we too may . Then ask and receive. With the persevering faith of Jacob, with the unyielding persistence of Elijah, claim for yourself all that God has promised.”
- Remember—when God speaks a word—the instant He speaks the word—the word immediately creates the reality it represents.
- So “Let there be faith” immediately creates faith.
- “God has granted to everyone a measure of faith.” (Romans 12:3)
- “‘Have faith in God.’” (Mark 11:22)
Say AMEN to the “faith of Jesus”
First Advent Calendar 2021
“Reflections on Christmas Hymns”
December 1-25, 2021
This Christmas season, Pioneer Women’s Ministries is delighted to share with you a Christmas Hymn Reflection each day through Christmas day. A daily email and/or a text will be sent to those who register. To register, text HYMNS to 269-281-2345.
The World Service Organization (WSO) is part of the Adventist Chaplaincy Ministries Department. The WSO is the church entity that supports Adventists who serve their communities, militaries, and local, regional, and national governments.
In order to support you, we need to know who you are and what you do. We have created a system to collect this information and store it securely. Now, we need you to create your profile.
WHO SHOULD CREATE A PROFILE
Any Adventist who serves in:
- a national military or defense force (This includes Active Duty, Reserves, and National Guard, and State Defense Forces.)
- Law Enforcement personnel (City, County, State/Province/Federal)
- Firefighters (City, County, State/Province/Federal)
- Search and Rescue/EMTs/First Responders
- Corrections (State/Province or Federal)
- Government (City, County, State/Province, or Federal)
- Military veterans
YOU CAN CREATE YOUR PERSONAL PROFILE AT PORTAL.WORLDSERVICEORGANIZATION.ORG.
Once you log in, choose the Adventist in Uniform/Government registration platform. You’ll be asked to provide your name and contact information, government service information, and church relationship.
Be sure to complete the section on subscriptions to receive your complimentary For God and Country magazine subscription, occasional email updates, and texts from the World Service Organization. Don’t forget to click submit.
You're invited to our Wednesday morning prayer meeting which meets at 7:00 AM on Zoom. This is a fantastic group that meets to share and pray together once a week. We are about to head into the holiday season, we are going to begin a series that you are not going to want to miss. Over the last year, we have explored biblical characters who shared their faith. As we begin our next chapter, I would like to invite you to join us as we explore 5 steps to intentionally sharing our faith. This series will run from November 10 – December 8.
We at Pioneer have been celebrating with Don and Trudy Starlin over his recent successful double-lung transplant. He had days to live when the donor's lungs became available. And the good news is he is recovering very well, having been moved from his transplant hospital to a nearby rehabilitation hospital. The last text message from Trudy reports he walked 1,650 steps a couple of days ago, his chest and feeding tubes have been removed, his spirits are strong—and we join them in praising God for this miraculous (how else can you describe a double-lung transplant?) intervention.
Family and friends of the Starlins have started a GoFundMe account to raise monies to offset the immense costs of this transplant operation. Insurance simply does not cover the myriad of expenses—room and board in the city, loss of employment during the recent months of waiting, continued unemployment until recovery is complete, rehabilitation, et al. While Pioneer cannot publish every worthy GoFundMe project, we can rally to the needs of this hometown couple who have faithfully served this congregation and are facing monumental financial challenges.
May our prayers surround these two Pioneer Family members on their road to recovery—"being confident of this, that He who began a good work in [them] will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus" (Philippians 1:6).
Due to excessive lead in the water in Benton Harbor, Harbor of Hope serves as a distribution site for cases of free bottled water for Benton Harbor residents. Volunteers are needed from 4:00 – 6:00 PM every Sabbath afternoon.
Pioneer cares about the health of our community and our congregation. We monitor the spread of COVID-19, especially the delta variant, closely. Berrien County's level of transmission is now High, as classified by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
In alignment with Andrews University (AU), masks are now required indoors at Pioneer, regardless of vaccination status (AU guidelines).
- wear a mask indoors
- practice physical distancing
- practice good hand hygiene
If you feel unwell at all, even with symptoms of a cold or flu, please do join our online worship at https://www.pmchurch.org.
We pray for God's continued protection to keep our church community safe and healthy,
—Pioneer Safety Committee
Join us for our Sabbath afternoon prayer walk on campus! We meet at the stairs behind the statue, and it starts at 4:45 PM and ends by 5:45 PM. We would love to have you join us. If that day/time does not work for you, there are other days that people are
prayer walking, as well. Questions? Contact: Ildiko at email@example.com; Andrew at firstname.lastname@example.org; or Andrea at email@example.com.