Florida needs our help. Hurricane Ian has been named "the deadliest storm to hit [Florida] since 1935." Relief workers are working tirelessly to help Florida residents and businesses pick up the pieces and begin the long road to recovery after massive damage from category 4 Ian. At least 68 persons from FL have lost their lives and about 25% of the State (2.7 million customers) lost electricity. The devastation is estimated at more than $60 billion in private insured losses just in Florida. Adventist Community Services is working with FEMA to set up warehouse s and distribution centers. They need our help. They need money now. To donate, give directly to the Florida Conference at https://relief.floridaconference.com or mark your tithe envelope for HURRICANE RELIEF. Thank you for caring. Thank you for giving. Thank you for being the hands and feet of Jesus.
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online Buy series
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
#RxF4Now—Dead Man Walking
- The Self-portrait—Romans 7:7-24
- Psalm 38:5 NLT—“My wounds fester and because of my foolish sins.”
- Isaiah 1:6 NLT—“You are from head to foot—covered with bruises, welts, and infected wounds—without any ointments or bandages.”
- Martin Luther: “Human nature is like a peasant. Lift him into the saddle on one side, over he topples on the other side.”
- Philippians 3:4-6—“If someone else thinks they have reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more: circumcised on the eighth day . . . in regard to the law, a Pharisee; . . . as for righteousness based on the law, .”
- Matthew 5:21-22, 27-28: “‘You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, “You shall not murder” [6th Commandment] . . . But I tell you that anyone who is with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. . . . You have heard that it was said, ‘Do not commit adultery’ [7th Commandment]. But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his .’”
- The Tenth Commandment (“You shall not covet”) radically shifts our focus on the Law of God/Ten Commandments from compliance to obedience.
- Psalm 119—David sings about the Law of God:
- v 97—“Oh, how I love Your ! I meditate on it all day long.”
- v 172—“May my tongue sing of Your word, for all Your are righteous.”
- v 127—“I love Your more than gold, more than pure gold.”
- v 18—“Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in Your .”
- v 64—“The earth is filled with Your , O LORD; teach me Your decrees.”
- Romans 7:12—“So then, the law is holy, and the commandment is holy, righteous and .”
- John Bunyan, Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners: “I was more loathsome in my own eyes than was a toad; and I thought I was so in God’s eyes too; sin and corruption, I said, would as naturally bubble out of my heart, as water would bubble out of a fountain. I thought now that everyone had a better heart than I had; I could have changed heart with anybody; I thought none but the devil himself could equalize me for inward wickedness and pollution of mind. I fell, therefore, at the sign of my own vileness, deeply into despair.” (quoted in Camron Schofield Heralding the Loud Cry 32).
- The Savior—Romans 7:25
- The purpose and point of the Law is to us to .
- Galatians 3:24—“Therefore the law was our tutor [guardian] to us to Christ.”
- To throw the Law out, to get rid of the Ten Commandments—as some are inclined to teach and to do—is to cut your soul off from the very Law Giver who is your only .
- Christ’s Object Lessons: “His law is a transcript of His own , and it is the standard of all character. This infinite standard is presented to all that there may be no mistake in regard to the kind of people whom God will have to compose His kingdom.” (315)
- Camron Schofield: “So if you did everything right in your whole entire life, will the law be satisfied? It can’t be satisfied because your right-doing [the definition of “righteousness”] is not what the law wants. What the law wants is God’s right-doing, God’s perfect life—and we, in ourselves, do we have it to offer? We don’t. Is there any room for you in this picture? Can you satisfy the law? Can you? Have you in your life attained unto the very perfection of God? To do that you would have to be God yourself. Are you God? You’re not God!” (Heralding the Loud Cry 33)
- “We CAN NOT. We can do nothing to effect our own salvation. And it’s a frightful realization when we meet the law as it really is. We are dead men walking.” (35)
- “The question is: are you bad enough to come to Christ, because if you don’t think that you are too bad, you won’t come to Christ.” (35)
- Steps to Christ: “If you see your sinfulness, do not wait to make yourself better. How many there are who think they are not good enough to come to Christ. Do you expect to become better through your own efforts? . . . There is help for us only in God. We must not wait for stronger persuasions, for better opportunities, or for holier tempers. We can do nothing of ourselves. We must come to Christ just as we are.” (31)
- The purpose and point of the Law is to us to .
“Just as I Am”
Berrien Springs Public Schools is seeking a Title 1 Teacher for Private/Non-Profit Schools in Berrien Springs (RMES, VAES & Trinity Lutheran School). This position will work approximately 20-25 hours per week, Monday - Friday. A valid Michigan Elementary Teaching Certificate is required. More information available at: https://www.homeoftheshamrocks.org/departments/human-resources--employment Click on: Open Certified Teaching Positions
Robby Raney and some of his colleagues will present a hymn sing program at 4:00 PM on October 22 at Historic Adventist Village in Battle Creek, Michigan. You're invited to come and sing the stories of our Pioneers.
The next Children’s Leadership Conference will take place on October 29th, 2022, 8:30 AM – 7:00 PM, at Chan Shun Hall, Andrews University. It is a one-day free in English & Spanish event focusing on Track 2: Teaching Children from the NAD Children’s Ministry Certification.
COLLECTING NEW UNDERWEAR AND PAJAMAS OF ALL CHILD SIZES. God's Hands 4 Kids is a ministry that started as a PMC Grow Group. We work closely with Berrien County DHHS. We maintain their "Closet" that has an inventory of clothes and other essentials that are available to workers 24/7. Many kids come into care with nothing except what they have on. We are currently collecting new underwear and pajamas. There is a collection bin in the lower PMC lobby. Items can be dropped off at RMES. We have other local 24/7 drop-off locations. Contact with us can be made through GH4K.org. Join our FaceBook page - God's Hands 4 Kids Foster...
Pioneer's fellowship dinner teams need additional members to help with the Sabbath fellowship dinners. Teams serve about three times a year. You don't need to know how to cook to be on a team. There are many ways you can be involved and enjoy the ministry together. Contact the church office at 269-471-6565 to sign-up.
The Family Life Committee invites you to Pioneer's Annual Hayride, returning after a two-year hiatus! Join us for rides through the woods, refreshments, a bonfire, and warm fellowship. Sunday, October 9, 6-8 PM at Five Pines Ministries, Berrien Center. Enjoy the beauty of fall with your Pioneer family!
Isaiah 58:1 “Cry aloud, spare not, lift up thy voice like a trumpet.”
Radio is one of the most effective means for spreading the gospel in these last days. Radio, like reading, has a personal connection to the mind and soul. Many Pastors report that Strong Tower Radio (STR) listeners are the most prepared for baptism. Here are a few testimonies:
- A couple walked into their local Seventh Day Adventist church saying that they couldn't attend first-day church any more after all they had learned from listening to STR.
- The delivery man stopped by and we learned he has been listening to Strong Tower Radio. He says STR preaches the Word of God like no other station he has heard.
- An Adventist member had to be out of state due to an emergency for 2 months. They often felt the emptiness of a radio station without solid Bible teaching and reverent music. They were overjoyed to be back in Michigan to hear Strong Tower Radio. It was a “double home-coming!”
- Nan worked a job that kept her in contact with people in their cars. At one car she couldn’t resist asking if they were listening to Strong Tower Radio. They were! She asked if they had the address for the nearest Adventist church. Nan turned up there the following Sabbath.
- One listener couldn’t make sense of what the Bible said & what churches taught. Then he found Strong Tower Radio! After his first Adventist church service, he said, “I’m home!”
Michigan churches and STR are still working to cover all of Michigan with radio stations. Your generous offering marked “Radio Expansion” this week will help interested churches make this full coverage of Michigan with the gospel a reality!!
—North American Division Stewardship Ministries
Helping hands needed. Are you looking for a project that is fun to do and really helps a wonderful Andrews organization? WAUS has a large mailing that will be processed/envelope stuffed on Thursday, October 6th starting at 9:00am until every envelope is stuffed! We would love to have you join us. Please call the station at 269-471-3400 to let us know you will be joining us. Looking forward to the joy of working together.
This fall Pioneer is partnering with the Center for Faith Engagement at Andrews University to offer the Pure Desire Conference. This is a two-day event designed to raise an awareness of the factors that create and reinforce unhealthy sexual behavior. It provides a comprehensive understanding and the tools required to develop a healing ministry that offers hope and freedom to men, women, students, and families.
October 21-22, 2022
Location: Andrews University Seminary Chapel