Florida needs our help. Hurricane Ian has been named "the deadliest storm to hit [Florida] since 1935." Relief workers are working tirelessly to help Florida residents and businesses pick up the pieces and begin the long road to recovery after massive damage from category 4 Ian. At least 68 persons from FL have lost their lives and about 25% of the State (2.7 million customers) lost electricity. The devastation is estimated at more than $60 billion in private insured losses just in Florida. Adventist Community Services is working with FEMA to set up warehouse s and distribution centers. They need our help. They need money now. To donate, give directly to the Florida Conference at https://relief.floridaconference.com or mark your tithe envelope for HURRICANE RELIEF. Thank you for caring. Thank you for giving. Thank you for being the hands and feet of Jesus.
"Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat:"
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
“Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat: Sweet Revenge”
- Genesis 40-45
- Dick Tibbits: Anger—“a strong emotion of displeasure brought on by feelings of helplessness and hopelessness. . . . A very fine line separates from anger. Most people do not consider hurt and anger as even related, but they are, in fact, two different words describing the same thing. Hurt and anger are simply two sides of the same coin.” (Forgive to Live: How Forgiveness Can Save Your Life 42-43)
- “The seven deadly strategies of anger”:
- #1—Overlooking the by pretending it didn’t happen or by discounting its impact
- #2—Focusing on the unfair behavior of the .
- #3—Displacing anger on a .
- Tibbits: “Some hurt and angry people who can’t deal directly with the one who offended them—maybe that person has died, moved away, or is too intimidating—instead focus their anger on a substitute. This substitute is often weaker and therefore more likely to accept the displaced anger without expressing much (if any) objection.” (49)
- #4— the anger
- #5—Developing a mental picture of
- #6—Using drugs, alcohol, or food to the pain
- #7—Becoming about life.
- Tibbits: “Some of the worst cynics you’ll ever meet are angry people who have never effectively dealt with a deep and perhaps long-held hurt. They have become experts in scorn, ridicule, and derision. . . . They get whatever joy they can from skewering the naïve hopes of the gullible.” (51)
- Based on the science of research done at Duke University, the American Heart Association now declares a risk factor alongside other markers like cholesterol, exercise and nutrition. (Tibbits 63)
- The journal Circulation warns: “A person who is most prone to anger is times more likely to have a heart attack than someone who is least prone to anger.” (Tibbits 63)
- Patriarchs and Prophets: “They humbly confessed their sin and entreated his forgiveness. They had long suffered anxiety and remorse, and now they rejoiced that he was still alive.” (231)
- Samantha Boardman MD: “Forgiveness is linked with lower mortality rates, lower cholesterol, lower blood pressure, lower cortisol (the stress chemical in our brains) and a lower likelihood of developing cardiovascular disease. Forgiveness may even support a healthier immune system. In addition to physical benefits, forgiveness is associated with psychological benefits as well. Overall well-being is linked with forgiveness, as are higher quality marriages and committed romantic relationships. Forgiveness is even related to better sleep.” (http://www.everydayhealth.com/emotional-health/the-healing-power-of-forgiveness.aspx)
- If anger can kill you, clearly can heal you.
- Joseph had one choice: bitter or
- “When you refuse to forgive, you are in effect handcuffing yourself to the person who offended you, to a person you don’t even like. And you know the worst thing about that? While you wait for that person to unlock the cuffs, you are holding the key in your own hands.” (74-75)
- Anne Lamott: It’s like drinking rat poison and then waiting for the rat to die.
- Jesus: “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.” (Luke 23:34)
- Desire of Ages: “That prayer of Christ for His enemies embraced the world. It took in every sinner that had lived or should live, from the beginning of the world to the end of time. Upon rests the guilt of crucifying the Son of God. To forgiveness is freely offered.” (745)
The gift of forgiveness is the sweetest revenge of all.
Berrien Springs Public Schools is seeking a Title 1 Teacher for Private/Non-Profit Schools in Berrien Springs (RMES, VAES & Trinity Lutheran School). This position will work approximately 20-25 hours per week, Monday - Friday. A valid Michigan Elementary Teaching Certificate is required. More information available at: https://www.homeoftheshamrocks.org/departments/human-resources--employment Click on: Open Certified Teaching Positions
Robby Raney and some of his colleagues will present a hymn sing program at 4:00 PM on October 22 at Historic Adventist Village in Battle Creek, Michigan. You're invited to come and sing the stories of our Pioneers.
The next Children’s Leadership Conference will take place on October 29th, 2022, 8:30 AM – 7:00 PM, at Chan Shun Hall, Andrews University. It is a one-day free in English & Spanish event focusing on Track 2: Teaching Children from the NAD Children’s Ministry Certification.
COLLECTING NEW UNDERWEAR AND PAJAMAS OF ALL CHILD SIZES. God's Hands 4 Kids is a ministry that started as a PMC Grow Group. We work closely with Berrien County DHHS. We maintain their "Closet" that has an inventory of clothes and other essentials that are available to workers 24/7. Many kids come into care with nothing except what they have on. We are currently collecting new underwear and pajamas. There is a collection bin in the lower PMC lobby. Items can be dropped off at RMES. We have other local 24/7 drop-off locations. Contact with us can be made through GH4K.org. Join our FaceBook page - God's Hands 4 Kids Foster...
Pioneer's fellowship dinner teams need additional members to help with the Sabbath fellowship dinners. Teams serve about three times a year. You don't need to know how to cook to be on a team. There are many ways you can be involved and enjoy the ministry together. Contact the church office at 269-471-6565 to sign-up.
The Family Life Committee invites you to Pioneer's Annual Hayride, returning after a two-year hiatus! Join us for rides through the woods, refreshments, a bonfire, and warm fellowship. Sunday, October 9, 6-8 PM at Five Pines Ministries, Berrien Center. Enjoy the beauty of fall with your Pioneer family!
Isaiah 58:1 “Cry aloud, spare not, lift up thy voice like a trumpet.”
Radio is one of the most effective means for spreading the gospel in these last days. Radio, like reading, has a personal connection to the mind and soul. Many Pastors report that Strong Tower Radio (STR) listeners are the most prepared for baptism. Here are a few testimonies:
- A couple walked into their local Seventh Day Adventist church saying that they couldn't attend first-day church any more after all they had learned from listening to STR.
- The delivery man stopped by and we learned he has been listening to Strong Tower Radio. He says STR preaches the Word of God like no other station he has heard.
- An Adventist member had to be out of state due to an emergency for 2 months. They often felt the emptiness of a radio station without solid Bible teaching and reverent music. They were overjoyed to be back in Michigan to hear Strong Tower Radio. It was a “double home-coming!”
- Nan worked a job that kept her in contact with people in their cars. At one car she couldn’t resist asking if they were listening to Strong Tower Radio. They were! She asked if they had the address for the nearest Adventist church. Nan turned up there the following Sabbath.
- One listener couldn’t make sense of what the Bible said & what churches taught. Then he found Strong Tower Radio! After his first Adventist church service, he said, “I’m home!”
Michigan churches and STR are still working to cover all of Michigan with radio stations. Your generous offering marked “Radio Expansion” this week will help interested churches make this full coverage of Michigan with the gospel a reality!!
—North American Division Stewardship Ministries
Helping hands needed. Are you looking for a project that is fun to do and really helps a wonderful Andrews organization? WAUS has a large mailing that will be processed/envelope stuffed on Thursday, October 6th starting at 9:00am until every envelope is stuffed! We would love to have you join us. Please call the station at 269-471-3400 to let us know you will be joining us. Looking forward to the joy of working together.
This fall Pioneer is partnering with the Center for Faith Engagement at Andrews University to offer the Pure Desire Conference. This is a two-day event designed to raise an awareness of the factors that create and reinforce unhealthy sexual behavior. It provides a comprehensive understanding and the tools required to develop a healing ministry that offers hope and freedom to men, women, students, and families.
October 21-22, 2022
Location: Andrews University Seminary Chapel