Florida needs our help. Hurricane Ian has been named "the deadliest storm to hit [Florida] since 1935." Relief workers are working tirelessly to help Florida residents and businesses pick up the pieces and begin the long road to recovery after massive damage from category 4 Ian. At least 68 persons from FL have lost their lives and about 25% of the State (2.7 million customers) lost electricity. The devastation is estimated at more than $60 billion in private insured losses just in Florida. Adventist Community Services is working with FEMA to set up warehouse s and distribution centers. They need our help. They need money now. To donate, give directly to the Florida Conference at https://relief.floridaconference.com or mark your tithe envelope for HURRICANE RELIEF. Thank you for caring. Thank you for giving. Thank you for being the hands and feet of Jesus.
Stories in the Rearview Mirror
Why I Believe in the ‘1000 Man March’ After Ferguson
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
“Stories in the Rearview Mirror:
Why I Believe in the ‘1000 Man March’
- Joseph Bates
- “About the close of 1831, and commencement of 1832, antislavery societies began to be organized again in the United States, advocating immediate emancipation. . . . I then began to feel the importance of taking a decided stand on the side of the oppressed. My labor in the cause of temperance had caused a pretty thorough sifting of my friends, and I felt that I had no more [friends] that I wished to part with; but duty was clear that I could not be a consistent Christian if I stood on the side of the oppressor, for God was not there. Neither could I claim his promises if I stood on neutral ground. Hence my only alternative was to plead for the slave, and thus I decided.” (Autobiography of Joseph Bates 235-236)
- Apostle Paul
- Philemon 8-9, 12-16
- “I prefer to appeal to you on the basis of love.”
- Ellen White
- “In the past, some attempts have been made to present the truth to the colored people, but those among the white people who claim to believe the truth have wanted to build a high between themselves and the colored race. We have one , who died for the black man, as well as for the white. Those who possess the spirit of Christ will have pity and love for all who know not the precious Saviour. They will labor to the utmost of their ability to wipe away the reproach of ignorance from white and black alike. . . .
“The colored people have been neglected because the vexed question of how to build a wall of between the whites and the blacks has been in agitation. Some have thought it the best way to reach the white people first, for if we should labor for the colored people we could do nothing for the white population. This is not the right position to assume. Christ’s followers are to learn all about the woes of the in their immediate vicinity and in their own country, be they white or black. The poor, friendless, untaught colored people need our assistance because they are ignorant and friendless. Those who have a dark, disagreeable life are the very ones whom we should bid to hope because Christ is their Saviour. God has jewels in the rough, and His true followers will find them. All who possess the spirit of Christ will have a tender, sympathetic heart, and an open, generous hand.
“Those who press close to the bleeding side of Christ will have the spirit of Christ, and a nature that will be quickly responsive to His call. They will work to relieve the necessities of suffering humanity, as Christ worked, while, before the world fallen, the worlds unfallen, and all the heavenly host, He was representing the ways and works of God. In the life of Christ we see what a Christian can do in relieving the distressed, binding up their physical and spiritual wants.” (Letter 5, July 24, 1895/Manuscript Releases 4:2-4)
- Martin Luther King, Jr.: “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.” (Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963)
“I appeal to you on the basis of love.”
Berrien Springs Public Schools is seeking a Title 1 Teacher for Private/Non-Profit Schools in Berrien Springs (RMES, VAES & Trinity Lutheran School). This position will work approximately 20-25 hours per week, Monday - Friday. A valid Michigan Elementary Teaching Certificate is required. More information available at: https://www.homeoftheshamrocks.org/departments/human-resources--employment Click on: Open Certified Teaching Positions
Robby Raney and some of his colleagues will present a hymn sing program at 4:00 PM on October 22 at Historic Adventist Village in Battle Creek, Michigan. You're invited to come and sing the stories of our Pioneers.
The next Children’s Leadership Conference will take place on October 29th, 2022, 8:30 AM – 7:00 PM, at Chan Shun Hall, Andrews University. It is a one-day free in English & Spanish event focusing on Track 2: Teaching Children from the NAD Children’s Ministry Certification.
COLLECTING NEW UNDERWEAR AND PAJAMAS OF ALL CHILD SIZES. God's Hands 4 Kids is a ministry that started as a PMC Grow Group. We work closely with Berrien County DHHS. We maintain their "Closet" that has an inventory of clothes and other essentials that are available to workers 24/7. Many kids come into care with nothing except what they have on. We are currently collecting new underwear and pajamas. There is a collection bin in the lower PMC lobby. Items can be dropped off at RMES. We have other local 24/7 drop-off locations. Contact with us can be made through GH4K.org. Join our FaceBook page - God's Hands 4 Kids Foster...
Pioneer's fellowship dinner teams need additional members to help with the Sabbath fellowship dinners. Teams serve about three times a year. You don't need to know how to cook to be on a team. There are many ways you can be involved and enjoy the ministry together. Contact the church office at 269-471-6565 to sign-up.
The Family Life Committee invites you to Pioneer's Annual Hayride, returning after a two-year hiatus! Join us for rides through the woods, refreshments, a bonfire, and warm fellowship. Sunday, October 9, 6-8 PM at Five Pines Ministries, Berrien Center. Enjoy the beauty of fall with your Pioneer family!
Isaiah 58:1 “Cry aloud, spare not, lift up thy voice like a trumpet.”
Radio is one of the most effective means for spreading the gospel in these last days. Radio, like reading, has a personal connection to the mind and soul. Many Pastors report that Strong Tower Radio (STR) listeners are the most prepared for baptism. Here are a few testimonies:
- A couple walked into their local Seventh Day Adventist church saying that they couldn't attend first-day church any more after all they had learned from listening to STR.
- The delivery man stopped by and we learned he has been listening to Strong Tower Radio. He says STR preaches the Word of God like no other station he has heard.
- An Adventist member had to be out of state due to an emergency for 2 months. They often felt the emptiness of a radio station without solid Bible teaching and reverent music. They were overjoyed to be back in Michigan to hear Strong Tower Radio. It was a “double home-coming!”
- Nan worked a job that kept her in contact with people in their cars. At one car she couldn’t resist asking if they were listening to Strong Tower Radio. They were! She asked if they had the address for the nearest Adventist church. Nan turned up there the following Sabbath.
- One listener couldn’t make sense of what the Bible said & what churches taught. Then he found Strong Tower Radio! After his first Adventist church service, he said, “I’m home!”
Michigan churches and STR are still working to cover all of Michigan with radio stations. Your generous offering marked “Radio Expansion” this week will help interested churches make this full coverage of Michigan with the gospel a reality!!
—North American Division Stewardship Ministries
Helping hands needed. Are you looking for a project that is fun to do and really helps a wonderful Andrews organization? WAUS has a large mailing that will be processed/envelope stuffed on Thursday, October 6th starting at 9:00am until every envelope is stuffed! We would love to have you join us. Please call the station at 269-471-3400 to let us know you will be joining us. Looking forward to the joy of working together.
This fall Pioneer is partnering with the Center for Faith Engagement at Andrews University to offer the Pure Desire Conference. This is a two-day event designed to raise an awareness of the factors that create and reinforce unhealthy sexual behavior. It provides a comprehensive understanding and the tools required to develop a healing ministry that offers hope and freedom to men, women, students, and families.
October 21-22, 2022
Location: Andrews University Seminary Chapel