Pioneer Women’s Ministries engages women in Christ-centered discipleship, fellowship and service to glorify God through prayerfully planned activities and events. We are inviting you to participate in a survey that will help plan these activities and events this year. We would be delighted to hear from you either by completing the online survey or by phone by calling Lyn McCarty at 269-208-3377.
Galaxy Three: Why What Is Happening a Billion Light Years Away Right Now Matters to You
Galaxy Three: From Flower Girl to Bride
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online Buy series
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
“Galaxy Three: From Flower Girl to Bride”
- Hebrews 5:11-14
- Hebrews 5:14—“But solid food is for the .”
- The Greek word for “mature” here is teleios, a word that is often translated “” in the New Testament.
- It can be translated: perfect, complete, whole, full-grown, mature.
- Hebrews 5:8,9—“Son though he was, [Jesus] learned obedience from what he suffered and, once made , he became the source of eternal salvation to all who obey him.”
- Hebrews 2:10—“It was fitting that God, for whom and through whom everything exists, should make the author of their salvation through suffering.”
- Hebrews 10:14—“For by one sacrifice [Christ] has made forever those who are being made holy.”
- Matthew 5:48—“‘Be , therefore, as your heavenly Father is .’”
- Hebrews 12:1-4
- “Such a great cloud of witnesses”—the checkered-life of Hebrews 11 were hardly .
- “Let us throw off everything that hinders and the that so easily tangles.”
- Ryan Dobson: “What’s with this culture of all-me-all-the-time? More important, what’s the alternative, and does anyone have a picture of that?” (WSJ 8-20-14)
- Desire of Ages: “Looking upon the crucified Redeemer, we more fully comprehend the magnitude and meaning of the sacrifice made by the Majesty of heaven. The plan of salvation is glorified before us, and the thought of Calvary awakens living and sacred emotions in our hearts. Praise to God and the Lamb will be in our hearts and on our lips; for and cannot flourish in the soul that keeps fresh in memory the scenes of Calvary.” (661)
- For a generation whose prevailing sin is our , what else can heal us but our on the cross?
- Turns out Roger Morneau’s idea of the story of Calvary every morning as part of our worship is a remedy whose time has come—Matthew 27:24-54.
- Christ’s Object Lessons: “Christ has given us no assurance that to attain perfection of character is an easy matter. A noble, all-round character is not inherited. It does not come to us by accident. A noble character is earned by individual effort through the merits and grace of Christ. . . . It is formed by hard, stern battles with . Conflict after conflict must be waged against hereditary tendencies. We shall have to criticize ourselves closely, and allow not one unfavorable trait to remain uncorrected.” (331)
- “[Christ] made an offering so complete that through his grace may reach the standard of perfection. Of those who  receive his grace and  follow his example it will be written in the book of life, ‘Complete in him—without spot or stain.’” (Review and Herald 5-30-1907)
- Revelation 3:21
- Steps to Christ: “There are those who have known the pardoning love of Christ and who really desire to be children of God, yet they realize that their character is imperfect, their life faulty, and they are ready to doubt whether their hearts have been renewed by the Holy Spirit. To such I would say, Do not draw back in despair. We shall have to bow down and weep at the feet of Jesus because of our shortcomings and mistakes, but we are not to be discouraged. Even if we are overcome by the enemy, we are not cast off, not forsaken and rejected of God.” (64)
- “He desires to restore you to Himself, to see His own purity and holiness reflected in you. And if you will but yield yourself to Him, He that hath begun a good work in you will carry it forward to the day of Jesus Christ. more fervently; more fully. As we come to distrust our own power, let us trust the power of our Redeemer, and we shall praise Him who is the health of our countenance.” (64)
- “The closer you come to Jesus, the more you will appear in your own eyes; for your vision will be clearer, and your imperfections will be seen in broad and distinct contrast to His perfect nature. This is evidence that Satan’s delusions have lost their power; that the vivifying influence of the Spirit of God is arousing you. No deep-seated love for Jesus can dwell in the heart that does not realize its own sinfulness.” (64-65)
- “The we see to esteem in ourselves, the we shall see to esteem in the infinite purity and loveliness of our Saviour. . . . The more our sense of need drives us to Him and to the word of God, the more exalted views we shall have of His character, and the more we shall reflect His image.” (65)
It's a fresh new year, and it's time for a fresh new Grow Groups season! Grow Groups are Pioneer's small groups that incorporate 5 S's: Shared interest, Spiritual touchpoint, Service project, Social event, Semester-based. That's it, in a nutshell! Grow Groups are for EVERYONE—all welcome to join.
Leaders, if you are passionate about something and want to use that to foster community and lead others to Jesus, we can probably help you turn that passion into a Grow Group! Let us know as soon as possible because the deadline to sign up to lead a group is January 21. For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit pmchurch.org/grow to sign up.
Dates to Keep in Mind:
- Digital Group Leader Registration Deadline: January 21
- Leader Orientation (via Zoom): February 1, 7:00 PM
- Spring Grow Groups Meet: February 7 – May 1
It is almost time for you to receive your Year-end Contribution Statement. Pioneer knows that you have had an unusual year and wants to make it easy for you to receive your Year-end Contribution Statement. This time around, you will receive your Contribution Statement easily and conveniently via email. If you have not recently updated your contact details, please email email@example.com with your current email address to ensure that you receive your statement. Thank you!
"Military life can be a lonely life away from family on deployment," notes James North, Pioneer's Servicepersons Coordinator. "Military families may have a difficult time in a foreign country even though they are together," he continues. "I spent 358 days (I marked each day on a self-created calendar) in Viet Nam away from my wife and 3 toddler daughters. My access to some of the following material was vital."
SDA military persons may receive complimentary subscriptions to Adventist Review, the Adult Bible Study Guide (Sabbath School), and For God and Country and the choice of 2 journals from Guide, Liberty, Message, Our Little Friend, Primary Treasure, Signs of the Times, and Vibrant Life.
A 2021 order form and instructions are found on page 28 of the current issue of For God and Country and I will post a copy of the form in next week's bulletin. If you have military Adventist family members we invite you to send this information to them.