To purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD OnlineBuy series
Dwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
• 64% of young people, ages 13–24, actively seek out pornography weekly or more often.
• A study of 14- to 19-year-olds found that females who consumed pornographic videos were at a significantly greater likelihood of being victims of sexual harassment or sexual assault.
• A Swedish study of 18-year-old males found that frequent consumers of pornography were significantly more likely to have sold and bought sex than other boys of the same age.
• A 2015 meta-analysis of 22 studies from seven countries found that internationally the consumption of pornography was significantly associated with increases in verbal and physical aggression, among males and females alike.
• Porn sites receive more regular traffic than Netflix, Amazon, & Twitter combined each month.
• 35% of all internet downloads are porn-related.
• The “teen” porn category has topped porn site searches for the last six years.
• At least 30% of all data transferred across the internet is porn-related.
• Recorded child sexual exploitation (known as “child porn”) is one of the fastest-growing online businesses.
• 624,000+ child porn traders have been discovered online in the U.S.
• Porn is a global, estimated $97 billion industry, with about $12 billion of that coming from the U.S.
• In 2018 alone, more than 5,517,000,000 hours of porn were consumed on the world’s largest porn site.
• The world’s largest free porn site also received over 33,500,000,000 site visits during 2018 alone.
• Denny Burk: “A growing number of young men are convinced that their sexual responses have been sabotaged because their brains were virtually marinated in porn when they were adolescents. Their generation has consumed explicit content in
quantities and varieties never before possible, on devices designed to deliver content swiftly and privately, all at an age when their brains were more plastic—more prone to permanent change—than in later life.” (in Meet Generation Z 61)
» THE TAMING
• Luke 5:17-20
• Desire of Ages: “Oh, wondrous love of Christ, stooping to heal the guilty and the afflicted! Divinity sorrowing over and soothing the ills of suffering humanity! Oh, marvelous power thus displayed to the children of men! Who can doubt the message of salvation? Who can slight the mercies of a compassionate Redeemer?” (269)
Five Steps (Maybe Six) to Overcoming Pornographic Addiction*
» Admit your .
• To yourself for honesty—Romans 7:14-15
• To God for help—2 Chronicles 20:12
» Confess your .
• To Jesus for cleansing—1 John 1:7
• To someone else for accountability—James 5:16**
» Surrender your and .
• To the Holy Spirit—1 Corinthians 6:18-20
• To the Lord—Joshua 24:15
» Worship your .
• Daily through prayer—Daniel 6:10/Psalm 55:17
• Daily through His Word—Joshua 1:7-8/Psalm 119:9-11
** ADVENTIST RECOVERY MINISTRIES: The Journey to Wholeness (firstname.lastname@example.org)/GROW Groups: “Sexual Purity for Men” & “Conquer”
“Friend, your sins are forgiven”
PMC and this area have more volunteer opportunities than can be filled but we would like to let you know about another few things that you can keep in mind.
1. The Harbor of Hope Food Pantry is always looking for those that could help sort and serve the families that come in to get food. We are open every second and fourth Sundays from 12:30 to 3:30 and you are welcome to come in for Set Up: 10:30- 12:30p, Food Distribution: 12:30-3:30p and/or Clean up: 3:30-until finished. The address is 769 Pipestone Street Benton Harbor, MI 49022
2. Another way to help is with donations. Any non perishable, unexpired food items: new, unopened household cleaning products, laundry products, toiletries: new socks of all sizes: warm hats, gloves and diapers or money is always welcome.
Men’s Retreat In Northwest Michigan!
Attention Michigan men! It’s almost time for the Men’s Retreat at Center Lake Bible Camp and Retreat Center in Tustin, MI March 13-15. Speakers Alex Niculaescu and Chad Kreuzer will bring messages to strengthen your walk with Christ. Attend Friday night through Sunday morning or Sabbath only. Hosted by the Bristol Seventh-day Adventist Church and open to anyone. For more info visit their Facebook page or call or text 616-840-3932.
March 13, 4:00 PM
Location: Center Lake Bible Camp and Retreat Center
Department of Speech-Language Pathology bilingual research
Graduate student, Gabriela Parra, of the Speech-Languge pathology department is looking to conduct research on bilingual children ages 12-36 months for 14 days that have 1 bilingual parent in the household. For more information please contact Gabriela Parra at: (423)503-2158 or email@example.com
Adventist Forum Meeting
Claudia Allen, M.A., will present "The Story of God: 400 years of theo-political discourse in African-American literature" on February 22 at 3:30 in Garber Auditorium, Chan Shun Hall. All are invited to attend!
February 22, 3:30 PM
Location: Garber Auditorium, Chan Shun Hall, Andrews University
Love on the Move
Over the summer and fall of 2019 Pioneer underwent significant physical renovation—including a new roof and a major Sanctuary makeover. During the same time congregation leaders engaged in multiple conversations about our missional renovation—how does a faith community like Pioneer seriously engage and impact the people around us for Christ? From this dialogue emerged a fresh new expression of our Pioneer mission: "Love on the Move."
James Lee III, professor of music theory and composition at Morgan State University, is an accomplished pianist and composer widely praised for his work in both areas. He is viewed by notable musicians of our time as one of the most promising young contemporary composers. Born in St. Joseph, Michigan; former student at Andrews Academy & Andrews University; a graduate of the University of Michigan; Lee returns to premiere “Violin Concerto No.2 “Teshuah” performed by Carla Trynchuk, violin, and the Andrews University Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Chris Wild. Join us for a night of outstanding music.
March 28, 8:30 PM
Location: Howard Performing Arts Center
Mommy and Me
A playgroup for caregivers and their children ages 0-5. Come for stories, songs, crafts and playtime. Bring a friend!
Tuesdays, 10:00 AM
Location: Pioneer Nursery Room
Media Team Volunteers
The Pioneer Media Team is looking for additional volunteers for its local audio and global television ministry. Members volunteer at least 1 time every 3 Sabbaths, for both the 9:00 AM and 11:45 AM services. Must be at least a Junior in high school for these volunteer roles.