To purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD OnlineBuy series
Dwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
• US News & World Report—a study last year of 20,000 U.S. adults “found that nearly half felt lonely at least sometime. And only 53% said they had meaningful face-to-face interactions every day.”
• God: “‘It is not good for the man [Adam] to be alone; I will make a companion who can help him [Eve].’” (Genesis 2:18)
• Norway survey of 15,000 people discovered:
– For those 18-29—what matters in relationships is quantity (how many friends do I have?).
• Stephen Johnson—ask these questions to find out if you have the relationships you need:
– Do you have at least one person nearby whom you can call on in times of personal distress?
– Do you have several people whom you can visit with little advance warning without apology?
– Do you have several people with whom you can share recreational activities?
– Do you have people who will lend you money if you need it, or those who will care for you in practical ways if the need arises? (In Friendship Factor 24)
» 4 Secrets to Growing Friendships
• Friendship Secret #1—Less of and more of . (Unselfishness)
– Jennifer Schwirzer: “We have all done it, and we have all suffered when others have done it. The monologuist fails to hold an actual conversation. They seem to thrive on the sound of their own voice.” (13 Weeks to Love 56)
• Alan McGuinnis: Ask yourself—
– Do we usually end up going to the restaurant or watch the movie I prefer?
– Do I enjoy correcting factual errors in other people’s conversations?
– Do I use humor to put down my friends?
– Do I have to know more about a topic than others to feel comfortable discussing it?(Friendship Factor 63)
– 1 Corinthians 13:5—“Love is not -seeking.”
• Friendship Secret #2—Let’s ! (Communication)
– Les and Leslie Parrott (in their book), observe: “Consider this fact: Men say three times as many words in public as they do in private, while women say three times as many words in private as they do in public.” (Saving Your Marriage Before It Starts 108)
– Alan McGinnis: “There can be no intimacy without .” (Friendship Factor 105)
– Luke 24:15—“[Cleopas and his friend] talked and discussed these things with .”
• Friendship Secret #3—Quit keeping . (Gift of a Good Forgetter)
– Jacques Vaudre: “Keeping score belongs in competitive sports, not in a mutually supportive relationship. . . . The idea that love involves some sort of quid pro quo, is, at best, evidence of immaturity that needs to be outgrown. At worst, it is a distortion of love that turns two people into unhappy combatants vying for control.” (Six Dynamic Keys 120)
– Matthew 6:12 NIV—“And forgive us our debts as we also [GK already forgiven our debtors.”
• Friendship Secret #4—I’m willing to so you can . (Self-sacrifice)
– The sacrificial love of a mother for her child
– John 15:13—“Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s .”
Best Friends Forever
Andrews Academy Feast of Lights 2019
Join us on Friday evening, December 13, and be inspired by a program of music, Scripture readings, and drama honoring the King of Kings.
Feast of Lights is an evening of bells, instrumental music, choral and congregational singing, lights, and a Nativity scene joyfully retelling the Christmas story.
Friday, December 13, 7:00 PM
Andrews Academy Christmas Pops Concert
Usher in the Christmas season by attending an evening of popular Christmas music on Tuesday, Nov. 26, 2019 at 7:00pm. Join us at the Howard Performing Arts Center on the campus of Andrews University for a variety of well-known Christmas songs including a grand finale played by the combined musical groups.
November 26, 7:00 PM
Location: Howard Perfoming Arts Center
Feed the Need
We invite you to take part in the Feed the Need, PMC’s annual Thanksgiving food collection coordinated by the PMC Evergreen Pathfinder club. Please bring non-perishable food to church on Sabbath November 23 to bring forward during the Procession of Thanksgiving during Hymn Fest. We will also be passing and collecting out bags in portions of the community for community members who wish to contribute.
November 23, 2019, 9:00 AM & 11:45 AM
Four Ways You Can Help the Children and Youth in Benton Harbor, MI at the Harbor of Hope Seventh-day Adventist Church
1) Pray for the children, youth, their parents, teachers, and the leaders/
volunteers at Greater Young Kids and Greater Youth Movement.
2) Order Florida Citrus Fruit for yourself, a food pantry like Harbor of
Hope, Neighbor to Neighbor, or God’s Abundant Pantry or order gift boxes
for Christmas gifts! See pictures and order sheets all around Andrews
University. If you are buying fruit for others make a note of where you want
the fruit to go on your check memo line. WE NEED THE ORDERS AND MONEY BY
NOVEMBER 15!!!! We will get the fruit early in December.
3) Order Rada Cutlery and Gifts at: https://radafundraising.com/?rfsn=1862551.e0e1d5
4) Or you can donate money to go straight to helping the children and youth
of Harbor of Hope, just send checks and we will use it to help out.
Contact Terry Trecartin at firstname.lastname@example.org or (423) 645-5684. Make
out checks to Harbor of Hope and send them to the Harbor of Hope church at
769 Pipestone Street Benton Harbor, MI 49022.
The fruit will be delivered to the Harbor of Hope church and you can pick it up there or we can bring it to you at Andrews. Order some for Christmas!
We have order forms and information on some bulletin boards there at Andrews and there are some at Neighbor to Neighbor.
Sabbath November 23 at 4pm WILDERNESS ADVENTURE children's church continues at Andrews Academy. Bring a friend and have fun learning about God! Music, skits, puppets, prizes, crafts and games. Don't miss out!
Saturday, November 23, 2019
Location: Andrews Academy
AU Passion Play Seeking Actors
The Andrews University Passion Play is returning to campus on April 11, 2020! Anyone interested in acting is encouraged to sign up on the website: passionplay.andrews.edu. Additionally, interested volunteers may contact the Drama Director Katharina Burghardt for more information at email@example.com. Please join us in telling Jesus' story this Easter!
Hundreds of used Adventist books, pamphlets, periodicals, Ellen White books, audio-visuals, and more on sale. The sale is conducted during the hours the Center is open (S: 1 - 5 pm, M-Tr: 9 am - 7 pm and F: 9 am -1 pm) and will run for about three or four weeks as long as materials last.
Begins: October 28, 2019, 9:00 AM
Location: Center for Adventist Research